Provide professionally sound and principled therapy based on the truth of God
Christians are faced with the same range of problems as everyone else. However, Christian therapists understand deeply the unique issues involved with their therapy. The Christian Therapist’s Notebook is a single source for innovative, user-friendly techniques for connecting the everyday world of the client with Christian principles and Scripture. This creative, timesaving guide assists therapists in helping clients achieve therapy goals through professionally sound and principled exercises while always maintaining a positive, supportive connection with Christian beliefs. Helpful features include Scripture references relevant to common problems, case studies, vignettes, professional resource lists, client resource lists, in-session exercises, homework exercises, and handouts.
The Christian Therapist’s Notebook bases its success on three foundations: the truth of scripture; the centrality of Christ; and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The book’s three sections include individuals, couples and families, and children and adolescents. Each chapter focuses on a single exercise to address an important issue that may be affecting the client. Chapters provide a guiding Scripture quote, an objective, rationale for use, clear and specific instructions, suggestions for a follow-up, a vignette illustrating the exercise’s success, contraindications, extensive resources, and related Scriptures.
The Christian Therapist’s Notebook exercises include:
- A New Creation, which uses a Christogram to personalize the Biblical promises and truths of the spiritual transformation
- Snapshots, which reveals repetitive behavior patterns in relationships
- Core Connections, which helps the client explore the organization of relational core connections to other people as well as to God
- Temptation Judo, which explores the connection between temptation and needs while uncovering God’s promise of escape
- Broken Mirrors, which identifies unresolved issues affecting self-image and moves the client to a personal relationship with God
- The Book of My Life, which helps identify situations and people that have had an impact on clients, while helping them to acknowledge that God has a plan for them
- Tearing Down Strongholds, which helps take the client through the process of repentance
- It Was Wrong, which helps abuse victims deal with pain and frustration
- Bowing Down, which helps to restore a healthy relationship
- Panic Breaker, which helps get to the root of client fears
- Parenting after Divorce
- Self-esteem, which helps children with self-concept
- and many, many more!
Table of Contents
About the Authors. Contributors. Acknowledgments. Introduction. Section I: Homework, Handouts, and Activities for Individuals. Henry, A New Creation. Henry & Sale, Snapshots. Henry, Core Connections. Henry & Sale, Temptation Judo. Figueroa, Broken Mirrors. Figueroa, The Book of My Life. Henry & Sale, Tearing Down Strongholds. Figueroa & Henry, Cross Over to the Other Side. Figueroa & Henry, Run the Race. Henry,Getting It in Gear. Zombory & Henry, Good Dog—Bad Dog. Miller & Henry, It Was Wrong. Henry,Bowing Down. Henry,Panic Breaker. Zombory & Henry, Where Was God? Henry,The Why’s of Weight? Henry, I Miss . . . Henry, Unmanageable. Section II: Homework, Handouts, and Activities for Couples and Families. Casey & Figueroa, Complete or Compete. Figueroa, The Beauty of a Butterfly. Miller & Henry, Love Is. . . Miller, A New Beginning: Premarital Counseling for the Second Marriage. Figueroa, Nothing Like the Brady Bunch. Miller & Henry, Control. Miller & Figueroa, Parenting After Divorce. Miller, The Broken Bough. Section III: Homework, Handouts, and Activities for Children and Adolescents. Henry, Three Wishes. Figueroa, Magical Sunglasses. Figueroa & Miller, Lions, Tigers, and Bears. Miller & Henry, Self-Esteem. Henry, It’s Just Like Me. Henry, If I Had Faith. Miller, Prodigal Child. Henry & Miller, Just for Today. Miller & Henry, All About Suicide. Twoey & Henry, Self-Injury. Twoey & Henry, When I’m Mad. Miller & Henry, Friends. Henry, Bad, Bad, Bad. Henry, Peace with God. Index. Reference Notes Included.