This indispensable textbook provides the underpinning knowledge to support all Teaching Assistants working towards Level 3 of the National Occupational Standards.
This new edition incorporates and responds to all new materials and initiatives required to meet the revised and expanded 2007 standards.
The Essential Guide for Experienced Teaching Assistants:
- actively engages the reader in activities, developing reflective practice while giving the theoretical background to school-based work
- gives insight and information about pupils individual needs
- helps Teaching Assistants develop curriculum-based skills to enable more effective pupil, teacher and classroom support
- emphasises that Teaching Assistants are team members, supporting the school and being supported by the school
- enables Teaching Assistants to operate more independently, using their knowledge and initiative.
Table of Contents
Preamble Contents Acknowledgements Figures Photographs Abbreviations 1. Introduction 2. Starting with yourself 3. Relationships 4. Working in the school team 5. Understanding how we develop and learn 6. Understanding other aspects of pupils' development 7. Care and support of pupils 8. Supporting pupils with individual needs 9. Supporting bilingual and multilingual pupils 10. Supporting teachers in and out of the classroom 11. Performance and feedback 12. Supporting the curriculum 13. Supporting literacy 14. Developing numerate pupils 15. Thinking ahead References Index
Anne Watkinson is an ex-head teacher and LEA senior advisor who now works independently as a consultant on the role and development of teaching assistants. She has worked in this capacity for both the Department for Children, Schools and Familes as well as the Training and Development Agency for Schools.