The Europa World Year Book 2013
Globally renowned for its accuracy, consistency and reliability, The Europa World Year Book 2013 is your source for detailed country surveys containing the latest analytical, statistical and directory information for over 250 countries and territories.
For more than eighty years since its first publication, the Europa World Year Book has been the premier source of contemporary political and socio-economic analysis for library reference shelves, offering timely information with a global reach.
Brand new content for 2013 includes:
- the transfer of power to the next generation of leadership in the People's Republic of China, culminating in the accession to the presidency of Xi Jinping in March 2013, and coverage of the escalating regional tensions over North Korea's nuclear threats
- coverage of the 2012 US presidential and legislative elections, in which President Barack Obama secured a second term of office while the Republican Party retained control of the House of Representatives
- the election of Uhuru Kenyatta, who is scheduled to stand trial at the International Criminal Court in July 2013, as President of Kenya, and coverage of the ouster of the Central African Republic President, François Bozizé, by the rebel Séléka alliance
- details of the ongoing conflict betwen the Government and opposition forces in Syria, and the political turmoil in Egypt, following the election of the Muslim Brotherhood's Muhammad Morsi as head of state in 2012
- economic and political developments around the sovereign debt crisis in the eurozone, including the financial crisis in Cyprus and emergency assistance agreed for Spain, the general election in Italy and new Governments in France and the Netherlands
- coverage of the presidential election in Venezuela that followed the death of Hugo Chávez in March 2013, and the return to power of the Partido Revolucionario Institucional in Mexico with the election to the presidency of Enrique Peña Nieto
- details surrounding the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI in February 2013 and the election of Jorge Bergoglio, the Archbishop of Buenos Aires, as his successor, Pope Francis
The Europa World Year Book 2013 is also available online as an authoritative and regularly-updated digital resource. For more information, please visit: www.europaworld.com