The European Union and the Social Dimension of Globalization
How the EU Influences the World
This volume provides a comprehensive account of the European Union’s social role in the world, assessing the EU’s ability to shape the social aspect of globalization from both law and political science perspectives.
Focusing explicitly on the EU, the authors address the extent of coherence between the Union’s international social objectives compared with the activities of the International Labour Organization (ILO) and with other EU foreign policy goals. Various dimensions of Europe’s global social role are addressed, including:
- the social dimension of EU trade relations
- the involvement of civil society in EU development policies
- the linkage between the EU’s internal and external ‘social model’
- the export of Europe’s social acquis through enlargement and neighbourhood policies
- the EU’s international position on health, gender equality, children’s rights, and corporate social responsibility
- the role of the Union in the ILO
The European Union and the Social Dimension of Globalization will be of strong interest to students and researchers in EU studies, Globalization studies, and Social Policy.
Table of Contents
1. From The Social Clause To The Social Dimension Of Globalization Jan Orbie And Lisa Tortell 2. In Search Of A Coherent Social Policy: EU Import And Export Of Ilo Labour Standards? Tonia Novitz 3. EU Enlargement And Social Standards: Exporting The European Social Model? Maarten Keune 4. The Social Dimension Of Eu Neighbourhood Policies Sieglinde Gstöhl 5. EU-ILO Relations: Between Regional And Global Governance Ailish Johnson 6. Writing A New Normative Standard? Eu Member States And Ilo Conventions Robert Kissack 7. The EU And The ILO Maritime Labour Convention: ‘In Our Common Interest And In The Interest Of The World’ Lisa Tortell, Rudi Delarue And Jeffrey Kenner 8. The EU And The Health Dimension Of Globalization: Playing The World Health Organization Card Sebastien Guigner 9. The Social Dimension Of EU Trade Policies Jan Orbie, Myriam Gistelinck And Bart Kerremans 10. The European Corporate Social Responsibility Strategy: A Pole Of Excellence? Olga Martin-Ortega And Muzaffer Eroglu 11. Lobbying The EU For Gender-Equal Development Petra Debusscher And Jacqui True 12. Civil Society And EU Development Policies In Africa And Latin America An Huybrechts And Rafael Peels 13. The EU’s International Promotion Of The Rights Of The Child Ian Manners
Jan Orbie researches and teaches on European Union external relations at the Centre for EU Studies in Ghent University, Belgium.
Lisa Tortell researches on employment and human rights law at DINÂMIA – Research Centre for Socio-Economic Change, Lisbon.