How did Accor, Cendant, Choice Hotels International, Marriott, and Hilton become the largest hotel chains in the worldand what strategies will they use to continue their growth?
This first-of-its-kind textbook presents a balanced overview of the theory and practice of hotel chains’ growth strategies. It explains in-depth how and why the largest worldwide hotel chains achieved dominant international status and shows how to forecast future developments. Authentic international examples in every chapter bring theoretical concepts into sharp focus.
The Growth Strategies of Hotel Chains: Best Practices by Leading Companies is comprised of thirteen chapters, each divided into two parts. The first part sets forth the theory behind an important aspect of growth strategy. The second part of each chapter brings these theoretical arguments to life with specific case examples. For example, in the chapter on franchising, the ten largest hotel franchise businesses in the world are discussed in detailincluding their actual fees and how they function, with helpful commentary on each. This format, designed with educators’ needs in mind, is consistent throughout the text. Charts, tables, and figures make complex information easy to access and understand.
The Growth Strategies of Hotel Chains: Best Practices by Leading Companies examines:
- the question of diversification vs. specialization
- vertical, horizontal, and diagonal integration
- acquisitions, mergers, and strategic alliances
- franchise contracts, management contracts, leaseholds, and ownership
- branding and globalization
- why European chains usually expand via property acquisitions and rentals while most American chains prefer management contracts and franchising
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1. The Concept of a Strategy
- Chapter 2. Competitive Strategies
- Chapter 3. Diversification versus Specialization
- Chapter 4. Vertical Integration
- Chapter 5. Horizontal Integration
- Chapter 6. Diagonal Integration
- Chapter 7. Acquisitions and Mergers
- Chapter 8. Strategic Alliances: The Case of Joint Ventures
- Chapter 9. Franchise Contracts
- Chapter 10. Management Contracts
- Chapter 11. Leaseholds and Ownership
- Chapter 12. Branding
- Chapter 13. The Internationalization-Globalization of Hotel Chains