The Handbook to Literary Research is a practical guide for students embarking on postgraduate work in Literary Studies. It introduces and explains research techniques, methodologies and approaches to information resources, paying careful attention to the differences between countries and institutions, and providing a range of key examples.
This fully updated second edition is divided into five sections which cover:
- tools of the trade – a brand new chapter outlining how to make the most of literary resources
- textual scholarship and book history – explains key concepts and variations in editing, publishing and bibliography
- issues and approaches in literary research – presents a critical overview of theoretical approaches essential to literary studies
- the dissertation – demonstrates how to approach, plan and write this important research exercise
- glossary – provides comprehensive explanations of key terms, and a checklist of resources.
Packed with useful tips and exercises and written by scholars with extensive experience as teachers and researchers in the field, this volume is the ideal Handbook for those beginning postgraduate research in literature.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to the Handbook - Delia da Sousa Correa and W. R. Owens Part 1: Tools of the trade 2. Tools and techniques for literary research: using online and printed sources - Shafquat Towheed Part 2: Textual scholarship and book history 3. Bibliography - Simon Eliot 4. History of the book - Simon Eliot 5. Editing literary texts - W. R. Owens Part 3: Issues and approaches in literary research 6. Institutional histories of literary disciplines - Suman Gupta 7. The place of theory in literary disciplines - Suman Gupta 8. Literary research and interdisciplinarity - David Johnson 9. Literary research and other media - Delia da Sousa Correa, with contributions by Sara Haslam and Derek Neale 10. Literary research and translation - Susan Bassnett Part 4: Planning and completing a research project 11. Planning, writing and presenting a dissertation or thesis - W. R. Owens Part 5: Reference 12. Glossary - W. R. Owens 13. Checklist of libraries, print, online and other research resources - M. A. Katritzky Index