The Heart of Light
A Holistic Primer for a Life and Career in Lighting Design and Production
The Heart of Light: A Holistic Primer for a Life and Career in Lighting Design and Production is a fresh look into the ever-evolving fields of lighting design and technology for arts and entertainment.
Full of practical information, historic perspectives, engaging projects, and opportunities for deep inquiry, practice, and reflection, this book offers a well-rounded foundation in the art, technology, and industries of light. It explores a wide range of topics, including:
- how to observe, communicate about, and use light effectively
- how quietive practices can deepen the creative process
- current lighting equipment used across the various arts and entertainment industries and strategies for keeping up with its rapid innovation
- how to choose a career path that keeps you inspired, as well as ways to search for work with dos and don’ts of effective career building
- how to cope with and celebrate the unknown and related challenges of implementing a design under pressure
- considerations for using self-reflection to be successful and impact positive change
From her perspective of lighting designer, educator, and contemplative practitioner, the author explores lighting not just as subject, but as an invitation to a fulfilling lifelong adventure.
Written for students of Theatrical Lighting courses and emerging lighting professionals, The Heart of Light is a must-read for anyone intrigued by the power of light.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction and an Invitation 2. Observe 3. Inquire 4. Gather 5. Choose 6. Do and Adapt 7. Reflect 8. Inspiration Appendices Glossary
Deanna Fitzgerald is a professional Lighting Designer and member of United Scenic Artists. Her lighting design credits include a wide range of theatre, dance, opera, circus-themed shows, puppets, architectural lighting, and more. She toured as the Lighting Director for the international tour of STOMP for six years and designed its Las Vegas incarnation STOMP OUT LOUD. At the University of Arizona she is an Associate Dean for the College of Fine Arts and a Professor in the School of Theatre, Film, and Television where she directed the BFA and MFA lighting design and technology areas for 12 years. Deanna serves on the Boards of Directors for URTA (University Resident Theatre Association), USITT (United States Institute of Theatre Technology), and the Western Region Exam Committee of United Scenic Artist Local 829. She is a yoga and meditation teacher and conducts classes and workshops focused on using these and other quietive practices to aid in the creative process.