The International Library of Essays on Aviation Policy and Management: 6-Volume Set
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
The development of civil aviation in the early 20th century presented a range of new legal and regulatory challenges concerning the rights of an aircraft from one state to enter the aerial territory of another. International flights threatened the territorial integrity of nation states and prompted politicians to draw up new aerial legislation and regulations to govern this new form of aerial movement. Whereas some states advocated free and open access to airspace and unrestricted aerial movement, other nations pursued a more protectionist stance based on regulation and reciprocal access arrangements. Technological developments in aircraft design and performance, combined with changing global political relations and the introduction of new forms of economic regulation have all fundamentally affected the development of air transport.
Table of Contents
Volume 1 Aviation Law and Regulation
Part I – Aviation Law
- H. Burchall, ‘The Politics of International Air Routes’, International Affairs, 14, 1, 1935, 89-107.
- A. E. Kahn, 1988, ‘Surprises of Airline Deregulation’, American Economic Review, 78 (2), 1988, 316-322.
- A. R. Goetz and T. M. Vowles, ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: 30 years of US Airline Deregulation’, Journal of Transport Geography,17, 2009, 251-263.
- D. Gillen and W. G. Morrison, ‘Regulation, Competition and Network Evolution in Aviation’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 11, 2005, 161-174.
- A. Zhang and Y. Zhang, ‘Issues on Liberalization of Air Cargo Services in International Aviation’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 8, 2002, 275-287.
- P. Forsyth, ‘Regulation Under Stress: Developments in Australian Airport Policy’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 9, 2003, 25-35.
- L. J. Basso, ‘Airport Deregulation: Effects on Pricing and Capacity’, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 26, 2008, 1015-1031.
- J. McHardy and S. Trotter, ‘Competition and Deregulation: Do Air Passengers Get the Benefits?’, Transportation Research A, 40, 2006, 74-93.
- D. Starkie, ‘Airport Regulation and Competition’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 8, 2002, 63-72.
- E. E. Bailey and J. C. Panzar, ‘The Contestability of Airline Markets during the Transition to Deregulation’, Law and Contemporary Problems, 44, 1, 1981, 125-145.
- A. S. Joskow, G. J. Werden and R. L. Johnson, ‘Entry, Exit and Performance in Airline Markets’, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 12, 1994, 457-471.
- R. Windle and M. Dresner, ‘Competitive Responses to Low Cost Carrier Entry’, Transportation Research Part E, 35, 1999, 59-75.
- M. Dresner, R. Windle and Y. Yao, ‘Airport Barriers to Entry in the US’, Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 36, 2, 2002, 389-405.
- S. D. Barrett, ‘Airport Competition in the Deregulated European Aviation Market’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 6, 2000, 13-27.
- L. Budd, G. Francis, I. Humphreys and S. Ison, ‘Grounded: Characterising the Market Exit of European Low Cost Airlines’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 34, 2014, 78-85.
- K. Button, ‘The Impact of US-EU "Open Skies" Agreement on Airline Market Structures and Airline Networks’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 15, 2009, 59-71.
- N. Adler and N. Hashai, ‘Effect of Open Skies in the Middle East Region’, Transportation Research Part A, 39, 2005, 878-894.
- P. Forsyth, J. King and C. L. Rodolfo, ‘Open Skies in ASEAN’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 12, 143-152.
Part II – Regulation and Deregulation
Part III – Competition and Contestability
Part IV – Open Skies
Volume 2 Aviation Planning and Operations
Part I Forecasting
- A. S. De Vany and E. H. Garges, ‘A Forecast of Air Travel and Airport and Airway Use in 1980’, Transportation Research, 6, 1972, 1-18.
- T. Grosche, F. Rothlauf and A. Heinzl, ‘Gravity Models for Airline Passenger Volume Estimation’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 13, 2007, 175-183.
- E. Suryani, S.-Y.Chou and C.-H. Chen, ‘Air Passenger Demand Forecasting and Passenger Terminal Capacity Expansion: A System Dynamics Framework’, Expert Systems with Applications, 37, 2010, 2324-2339.
- R. A. A. Wijnen, W. E. Walker and J. H. Kwakkel, ‘Decision Support for Airport Strategic Planning, Transportation Planning and Technology, 31, 1, 2008, 11-34.
- R. Vreeker, P. Nijkamp and C. T. Welle, ‘A Multicriteria Decision Support Methodology for Evaluating Airport Expansion Plans’, Transportation Research Part D, 7, 2002, 27-47.
- P. Forsyth, ‘Airport Infrastructure for the Airbus A380: Cost Recovery and Pricing’, Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 39, 3, 2005, 341-362.
- M. A. Stamatopoulos, K. G. Zografos and A. R. Odoni, ‘A Decision Support System for Airport Strategic Planning’, Transportation Research Part C, 12, 2004, 91-117.
- A. Carlin and R. E. Park, ‘Marginal Cost Pricing of Airport Runway Capacity’, American Economic Review, 60, 3, 1970, 310-319.
- E. Pels and E. T. Verhoef, ‘The Economics of Airport Congestion Pricing’, Journal of Urban Economics, 55, 2004, 257-277.
- G. Sieg, ‘Grandfather Rights in the Market for Airport Slots’, Transportation Research Part B, 44, 2010, 29-37.
- D. Starkie, ‘Allocating Airport Slots: A Role for the Market?’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 4, 1998, 111-116.
- S. Solak, J.-P. Clarke and E. L. Johnson, ‘Airport Terminal Capacity Planning’, Transportation Research Part B, 43, 2009, 659-676.
- C. Barnhart and A. Cohn, ‘Airline Schedule Planning: Accomplishments and Opportunities’, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 6, 1, 2004, 3-22.
- G. Desaulniers, J. Desrosiers, Y. Dumas, M. M. Solomon and F. Soumis, ‘Daily Aircraft Routing and Scheduling’, Management Science, 43, 6, 1997, 841-855.
- C. A. Hane, C. Barnhart, E. L. Johnson, R. E. Marsten, G. L. Nemhauser and G. Sigismondi, ‘The Fleet Assignment Problem: Solving a Large-scale Integer Program’, Mathematical Programming, 70, 1995, 211-232.
- A. M. Cohn and C. Barnhart, ‘Improving Crew Scheduling by Incorporating Key Maintenance Routing Decisions’, Operations Research, 51, 3, 2003, 387-396.
- M. Janic, ‘An Assessment of Risk and Safety in Civil Aviation’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 6, 2000, 43-50.
- R. L. Helmreich, A. C. Merritt and J. A. Wilhelm, ‘The Evolution of Crew Resource Management Training in Commercial Aviation’, The International Journal of Aviation Psychology, 9, 1, 1999, 19-32.
- B. F. Blackwell, T. L. DeVault, E. Fernández-Juricic and R. A. Dolbeer, ‘Wildlife Collisions with Aircraft: A Missing Component of Land-use Planning for Airports’, Landscape and Urban Planning, 93, 2009, 1-9.
- T. A. Birkland, ‘Learning and Policy Improvement After Disaster: The Case of Aviation Security, American Behavioral Scientist, 48, 3, 2004, 341-364.
- P. Adey, ‘Surveillance at the Airport: Surveilling Mobility/Mobilising Surveillance’, Environment & Planning A, 36, 2004, 1365-1380.
- N. Kohl, A. Larsen, J. Larsen, A. Ross and S. Tiourine, ‘Airline Disruption Management – Perspectives, Experiences and Outlook’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 13, 2007, 149-162.
- J. Clausen, A. Larsen, J. Larsen and N. J. Rezanova, ‘Disruption Management and the Airline Industry – Concepts, Models and Methods’, Computers & Operations Research, 37, 2010, 809-821.
- S. Lan, J.-P. Clarke and C. Barnhart, ‘Planning for Robust Airline Operations: Optimizing Aircraft Routings and Flight Departure Times to Minimize Passenger Disruptions’, Transportation Science, 40, 1, 2006, 15-28.
- L. Budd, M. Bell and T. Brown, ‘Of Plagues, Planes and Politics: Controlling the Global Spread of Infectious Diseases by Air’, Political Geography, 28, 2009, 426-435.
Part II Infrastructure Planning and Provision
Part III Capacity
Part IV Scheduling
Part V Safety and Security
Part VI Disruption Management and Resilience
Volume 3 Aviation Business Strategy
Part I Market structure
- Z. Liu and E. L. Lynk, ‘Evidence on Market Structure of the Deregulated US Airline Industry’, Applied Economics, 31, 9, 1999, 1083-1092.
- M. Dresner and M. W. Tretheway, ‘Modelling and Testing the Effect of Market Structure on Price: The Case of International Air Transport’, Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 26, 2, 1992, 171-184.
- R. M. Rubin and J. N. Joy, ‘Where Are the Airlines Headed? Implications of Airline Industry Structure and Change for Consumers’, The Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39, 1, 2005, 215-228.
- D. Gillen and W. Morrison, ‘Bundling, Integration and the Delivered Price of Air Travel: Are Low Cost Carriers Full Service Competitors?, Journal of Air Transport Management, 9, 2003, 15-23.
- C. A. Piga and N. Filippi, ‘Booking and Flying with Low-cost Airlines’, International Journal of Tourism Research, 4, 2002, 237-249.
- V. Bilotkach, A. A. Gaggero and C. A. Piga, ‘Airline Pricing Under Different Market Conditions: Evidence from European Low-Cost Carriers’, Tourism Management, 47, 2015, 152-163.
- J. Stavins, ‘Price Discrimination in the Airline Market: The Effect of Market Concentration’, The Review of Economics and Statistics, 83, 1, 2000, 200-202.
- M. Brons, E. Pels, P. Nijkamp and P. Rietveld, ‘Price Elasticities of Demand for Passenger Air Travel: A Meta-analysis’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 8, 2002, 165-175.
- F. Alamdari and S. Fagan, ‘Impact of the Adherence to the Original Low-cost Model on the Profitability of Low-cost Airlines’, Transport Reviews, 25, 3, 2005, 377-392.
- B. Graham and T. M. Vowles, ‘Carriers within Carriers: A Strategic Response to Low-cost Airline Competition’, Transport Reviews, 26, 1, 2006, 105-126.
- G. Francis, I. Humphreys and S. Ison, ‘Airports’ Perspectives on the Growth of Low-cost Airlines and the Remodelling of the Airport-airline Relationship’, Tourism Management, 25, 2004, 507-514.
- A. Graham, ‘How Important are Commercial Revenues to Today’s Airports?’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 15, 2009, 106-111.
- R. G. Kasilingam, ‘Air Cargo Revenue Management: Characteristics and Complexities’, European Journal of Operations Research, 96, 1996, 36-44.
- S. A. Morrison, ‘Airline Mergers, A Longer View’, Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 30, 3, 1996, 237-250.
- E. H. Kim and V. Singal, ‘Mergers and Market Power: Evidence from the Airline Industry’, The American Economic Review, 83, 3, 1993, 549-569.
- R. Merkert and P. Morrell, ‘Mergers and Acquisitions in Aviation – Management and Economic Perspectives on the Size of Airlines’, Transportation Research Part E, 48, 2012, 853-862.
- P. Forsyth, H.-M. Niemeier and H. Wolf, ‘Airport Alliances and Mergers – Structural Change in the Airport Industry?’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 17, 2011, 49-56.
- T, H. Oum and J.-H. Park, ‘Airline Alliances: Current Status, Policy Issues, and Future Directions’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 3, 3, 1997, 133-144.
- T. H. Oum, C. Yu and A. Zhang, ‘Global Airline Alliances: International Regulatory Issues’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 7, 2001, 57-62.
- J.-H. Park, ‘The Effects of Airline Alliances on Markets and Economic Welfare’, Transportation Research Part E, 33, 3, 1997, 181-195.
- N. Adler and K. Smilowitz, ‘Hub-and-spoke Network Alliances and Mergers: Price-location Competition in the Airline Industry’, Transportation Research Part B, 41, 2007, 394-409.
- J. C. Driver, ‘Developments in Airline Marketing Practices’, Journal of Marketing Practice: Applied Marketing, 5, 5, 1999, 134-150.
- D. C. Gilbert, ‘Relationship Marketing and Airline Loyalty Schemes’, Tourism Management, 17, 8, 1996, 575-582.
- S. Gössling and J. H. Nilsson, ‘Frequent Flyer Programmes and the Reproduction of Aeromobility’, Environment and Planning A, 42, 2010, 241-252.
- R. Klophaus, ‘Frequent Flyer Programs for European Low-cost Airlines: Prospects, Risks and Implementation Guidelines’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 11, 2005, 348-353.
- K. J. Mason, ‘Marketing Low-cost Airline Services to Business Travellers’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 7, 2001, 103-109.
Part II Revenue, Cost and Pricing
Part III Mergers and Acquisitions
Part IV Global airline alliances
Part V Marketing and Customer Loyalty
Volume 4 Aviation Performance and Productivity
Part I Privatisation and Commercialisation
- D. Gillen, ‘The Evolution of Airport Ownership and Governance’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 17, 2011, 3-13.
- A. Zhang and Y. Zhang, ‘Concession Revenue and Optimal Airport Pricing’, Transportation Research Part E, 33, 4, 1997, 287-296.
- A. Zhang and Y. Zhang, ‘Airport Charges and Capacity Expansion: Effects of Concessions and Privatization’, Journal of Urban Economics, 53, 2003, 54-75.
- T. H. Oum, N. Adler and C. Yu, ‘Privatization, Corporatization, Ownership Forms and Their Effects on the Performance of the World’s Major Airports’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 12, 2006, 109-121.
- I. Humphreys, S. Ison and G. Francis, ‘UK Airport Policy: Does the Government Have Any Influence?’, Public Money and Management, 27, 5, 2010, 339-344.
- R. Freestone, P. Williams and A. Bowden, ‘Fly Buy Cities: Some Planning Aspects of Airport Privatisation in Australia’, Urban Policy and Research, 24, 4, 2006, 491-508.
- T. H. Oum, J. Yan and C. Yu, ‘Ownership Forms Matter for Airport Efficiency: A Stochastic Frontier Investigation of Worldwide Airports’, Journal of Urban Economics, 64, 2008, 422-435.
- D. Gillen and A. Lall, ‘Developing Measures of Airport Productivity and Performance: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis’, Transportation Research Part E, 33, 4, 1997, 261-273.
- J. Sarkis, ‘An Analysis of the Operational Efficiency of Major Airports in the United States’, Journal of Operations Management, 18, 2000, 335-351.
- D. Gillen and W. G. Morrison, ‘The Economics of Franchise Contracts and Airport Policy’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 11, 2005, 43-48.
- E. Pels, P. Nijkamp and P. Rietveld, ‘Inefficiencies and Scale Economies of European Airport Operations’, Transportation Research Part E, 39, 2003, 341-361.
- C. Barbot, A. Costa and E. Sochirca, ‘Airlines Performance in the New Market Context: A Comparative Productivity and Efficiency Analysis’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 14, 2008, 270-274.
- R. Merkert and D. A. Hensher, ‘The Impact of Strategic Management and Fleet Planning on Airline Efficiency – A Random Effects Tobit Model Based on DEA Efficiency Scores’, Transportation Research Part A, 45, 2011, 686-695.
- D. R. Graham, D. P. Kalpan and D. S. Sibley, ‘Efficiency and Competition in the Airline Industry’, The Bell Journal of Economics, 14, 1, 1983, 118-138.
- V. Inglada, B. Rey, A. Rodríguez-Alvarez and P. Coto-Millan, ‘Liberalisation and Efficiency in International Air Transport’, Transportation Research Part A, 40, 2006, 95-105.
- B. K. Behn and R. A. Riley, ‘Using Nonfinancial Information to Predict Financial Performance: The Case of the U.S. Airline Industry’, Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 14 , 1, 1999, 29-56.
- M. M. Parast and E. H. Fini, ‘The Effect of Productivity and Quality on Profitability in US Airline Industry: An Empirical Investigation’, Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, 20, 5, 2010, 458-474.
- F. Sultan and M. C. Simpson, Jr, ‘International Service Variants: Airline Passenger Expectations and Perceptions of Service Quality’, Journal of Services Marketing, 14, 3, 2000, 188-216.
- S.-H. Tsaur, T.-Y. Chang and C.-H. Yen, ‘The Evaluation of Airline Service Quality by Fuzzy MCDM’, Tourism Management, 23, 2002, 107-115.
- M. J. Mazzeo, ‘Competition and Service Quality in the U.S. Airline Industry’, Review of Industrial Organization, 22, 2003, 275-296.
- A. R. Correia, S. C. Wirasinghe and A. G. de Barros, ‘Overall Level of Service Measures for Airport Passenger Terminals’, Transportation Research Part A, 42, 2008, 330-346.
- N. Adler and J. Berechman, ‘Measuring Airport Quality from the Airlines’ Viewpoint: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis’, Transport Policy, 8, 2001, 171-181.
- F. E. Alamdari and P. Morrell, ‘Airline Labour Cost Reduction: Post-liberalisation Experience in the USA and Europe’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 3, 2, 1997, 53-66.
- L. Hunter, ‘Low Cost Airlines: Business Model and Employment Relations’, European Management Journal, 24, 5, 2006, 315-321.
- G. Harvey and P. Turnbull, ‘Employment Relations, Management Style and Flight Crew Attitudes at Low Cost Airline Subsidiaries: The Cases of British Airways/Go and bmi/bmibaby’, European Management Journal, 24, 5, 2006, 330-337.
- S. Taylor and M. Tyler, ‘Emotional Labour and Sexual Difference in the Airline Industry’, Work, Employment & Society, 14, 1, 2000, 77-95.
Part II Efficiency
Part III Service delivery and service quality
Part IV: Human Resource and Labour
Volume 5 Aviation Social and Economic Impacts
Part I Airports and Economic Development
- K. Button and S. Taylor, ‘International Air Transportation and Economic Development’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 6, 2000, 209-222.
- R. K. Green, ‘Airports and Economic Development’, Real Estate Economics, 35, 1, 2007, 91-112.
- A. R. Goetz and J. S. Szyliowicz, ‘Revisiting Transportation Planning and the Decision Making Theory: The Case of Denver International Airport’, Transportation Research Part A, 31, 4, 263-280.
- R. Freestone, ‘Planning, Sustainability and Airport-Led Urban Development’, International Planning Studies, 14, 2, 2009, 161-176.
- R. L. Ivy, T. J. Fik and E. J. Malecki, ‘Changes in Air Service Connectivity and Employment’, Environment and Planning A, 27, 1995, 165-179.
- D. Gillen and A. Lall, ‘Competitive Advantage of Low-cost Carriers: Some Implications for Airports’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 10, 2004, 41-50.
- J. Gardiner, S. Ison and I. Humphreys, ‘Factors Influencing Cargo Airlines’ Choice of Airport: An International Survey’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 11, 2005, 393-399.
- J. Bowen and T. Leinbach, ‘Market Concentration in the Air Freight Forwarding Industry’, Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografic, 95, 2, 2004, 174-188.
- A. Zhang and Y. Zhang, ‘A Model of Air Cargo Liberalization: Passenger vs. All-cargo Carriers’, Transportation Research Part E, 38, 2002, 175-191.
- Y. Park, J. K. Choi and A. Zhang, ‘Evaluating Competitiveness of Air Cargo Express Services’, Transportation Research Part E, 45, 2009, 321-334.
- J. Gardiner and S. Ison, ‘The Geography of Non-integrated Cargo Airlines: An International Study’, Journal of Transport Geography, 16, 2008, 55-62.
- D. T. Duval, ‘Critical Issues in Air Transport and Tourism’, Tourism Geographies: An International Journal of Tourism Space, Place and Environment, 15, 3, 2013, 494-510.
- P. Forsyth, ‘Martin Kunz Memorial Lecture. Tourism Benefits and Aviation Policy’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 12, 2006, 3-13.
- T. Bieger and A. Wittmer, ‘Air Transport and Tourism – Perspectives and Challenges for Destinations, Airlines and Governments’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 12, 2006, 40-46.
- G. Lohmann, S. Albers, B. Koch and K. Pavlovich, ‘From Hub to Tourism Destination – An Explorative Study of Singapore and Dubai’s Aviation-based Transformation’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 15, 2009, 205-211.
- A. Graham, ‘Demand for Leisure Air Travel and Limits to Growth’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 6, 2000, 109-118.
- S. Bråthen and N. Halpern, ‘Air Transport Service Provision and Management Strategies to Improve the Economic Benefits for Remote Regions’, Research in Transportation Business and Management, 4, 2012, 3-12.
- M. D. Wittman, F. Allroggen and R. Malina, ‘Public Service Obligations for Air Transport in the United States and Europe: Connectivity Effects and Value for Money’, Transportation Research Part A, 94, 2016, 112-128.
- J. Calzada and X. Fageda, ‘Competition and Public Service Obligations in European Aviation Markets’, Transportation Research Part A, 70, 2014, 104-116.
- R. Merkert and B. O’Fee, ‘Efficient Procurement of Public Air Services – Lessons Learned from European Transport Authorities’ Perspectives’, Transport Policy, 29, 118-125.
- T. H. Grubesic, T. C. Matisziw and A. T. Murray, ‘Assessing Geographic Coverage of the Essential Air Service Program’, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 46, 2012, 124-135.
- P. Morrell and C. H.-Y. Lu, ‘Aircraft Noise Social Cost and Charge Mechanisms – A Case Study of Amsterdam Airport Schiphol’, Transportation Research Part D, 5, 2000, 305-320.
- M. May and S. B. Hill, ‘Questioning Airport Expansion – A Case Study of Canberra International Airport’, Journal of Transport Geography, 14, 2006, 437-450.
- B. Graham and J. Shaw, ‘Low-cost Airlines in Europe: Reconciling Liberalization and Sustainability’, Geoforum, 39, 2008, 1439-1451.
- J. Vespermann and A. Wald, ‘Much Ado about Nothing? – An Analysis of Economic Impacts and Ecologic Effects of the EU-emission Trading Scheme in the Aviation Industry’, Transportation Research Part A, 45, 2011, 1066-1076.
- S. Sgouridis, P. A. Bonnefoy and R. J. Hansman, ‘Air Transportation in a Carbon Constrained World: Long-term Dynamics of Policies and Strategies for Mitigating the Carbon Footprint of Commercial Aviation’, Transportation Research Part A, 45, 2011, 1077-1091.
Part II Airport Logistics and Supply Chains
Part III Air Transport and Tourism
Part IV Air Transport in Remote Regions
Part V Environmental externalities
Volume 6 Aviation Design and Innovation
Part I Airport Design and Sustainability
- A. R. Odoni and R. de Neufville, ‘Passenger Terminal Design’, Transportation Research Part A, 26A , 1, 1992, 27-35.
- A. G. de Barros and S. C. Wirasinghe, ‘Optimal Terminal Configurations for New Large Aircraft Operations’, Transportation Research Part A, 37, 2003, 315-331.
- R. de Neufville, ‘Low-Cost Airports for Low-Cost Airlines: Flexible Design to Manage the Risks’, Transportation Planning and Technology, 31, 1, 2008, 35-68.
- P. Forsyth, ‘The Impacts of Emerging Aviation Trends on Airport Infrastructure’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 13, 2007, 45-52.
- A. MacPherson and D. Pritchard, ‘The International Decentralisation of US Commercial Aircraft Production: Implications for US Employment and Trade’, Futures, 35, 2003, 221-238.
- J. Niosi and M. Zhengu, ‘Aerospace Clusters: Local or Global Knowledge Spillovers?’, Industry and Innovation, 12, 1, 2005, 5-29.
- J. M. C. King, ‘The Airbus 380 and Boeing 787: A Role in the Recovery of the Airline Transport Market’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 13, 2007, 16-22.
- A. Z. Ibsen, ‘The Politics of Airplane Production: The Emergence of Two Technological Frames in the Competition between Boeing and Airbus’, Technology in Society, 31, 2009, 342-349.
- E. Nygren, K. Aleklett and M. Höök, ‘Aviation Fuel and Future Oil Production Scenarios’, Energy Policy, 37, 2009, 4003-4010.
- P. Gegg, L. Budd and S. Ison, ‘The Market Development of Aviation Biofuel: Drivers and Constraints’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 39, 2014, 34-40.
- T. K. Hari, Z. Yaakob and N. N. Binitha, ‘Aviation Biofuel from Renewable Resources: Routes, Opportunities and Challenges’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 42, 2015, 1234-1244.
- N. Winchester, R. Malina, M. D. Staples and S. R. H. Barrett, ‘The Impact of Advanced Biofuels on Aviation Emissions and Operations in the U.S.’, Energy Economics, 49, 2015, 482-491.
- M. Kousoulidou and L. Lonza, ‘Biofuels in Aviation: Fuel Demand and CO2 Emissions Evolution in Europe Toward 2030’, Transportation Research Part D, 46, 2016, 166-181.
- G. Francis, I. Humphreys, S. Ison and M. Aicken, ‘Where Next for Low Cost Airlines? A Spatial and Temporal Comparative Study’, Journal of Transport Geography, 14, 2006, 83-94.
- D. Gillen and A. Gados, ‘Airlines Within Airlines: Assessing the Vulnerabilities of Mixing Business Models’, Research in Transportation Economics, 24, 2008, 25-35.
- R. Klophaus, R. Conrady and F. Fichert, ‘Low Cost Carriers Going Hybrid: Evidence from Europe’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 23, 2012, 54-58.
- S. Albers, B. Kock and C. Ruff, ‘Strategic Alliances Between Airlines and Airports – Theoretical Assessment and Practical Evidence’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 11, 2005, 49-58.
- P. Forsyth, H.-M. Niemeier and H. Wolf, ‘Airport Alliances and Mergers – Structural Change in the Airport Industry?’, Journal of Air Transport Management, 17, 2011, 49-56.
- D. McNeill, ‘The Airport Hotel as Business Space’, Geografiska Annaler. Series B, Human Geography, 91, 3, 2009, 219-228.
- M. C. Charles, P. Barnes, N. Ryan and J. Clayton, ‘Airport Futures: Towards a Critique of the Aerotropolis Model’, Futures, 39, 2007, 1009-1028.
Part II Aircraft Design and Manufacturing
Part III Alternative fuels
Part IV Business Model Innovation
Lucy Budd is Professor of Air Transport Management and Stephen Ison is Professor of Air Transport Policy at De Montfort University, UK.