The Renaissance and 17th Century Rationalism
Routledge History of Philosophy Volume 4
This fourth volume traces the history of Renaissance philosophy and seventeenth century rationalism, covering Descartes and the birth of modern philosophy.
Table of Contents
1. The philosophy of the Italian Renaissance
2. Renaissance philosophy outside Italy
3. Science and mathematics from the Renaissance to Descartes
4. Francis Bacon and man's two-faced kingdom
5. Descares: methodology
6. Descartes: metaphysics and philosophy of mind
7. Seventeenth-century materialism: Gassendi and Hobbes
8. Spinoza: metaphysics and knowledge
9. The moral and political philosophy of Spinoza
11. Leibniz: truth, knowledge and metaphysics
G.H.R. Parkinson is Emeritus Professor of Philosophy, University of Reading. His numerous books include works on Spinoza, Leibniz, Wittgenstein, Lukács; he is also the General Editor of An Encyclopaedia of Philosophy (Routledge, 1988).