The Restless City: A Short History of New York from Colonial Times to the Present is a brief, insightful and lively history of the peoples, events and interactions that have formed New York City. Weaving together the shifting currents of economic, political, social, and cultural life, Joanne Reitano shows how New York has acted both as an indicator and a driver of the American experience in its negotiation of evolving urban challenges.
The third edition of The Restless City has been updated to include new material on early settler/Native American interactions, and to be more fully inclusive of the outer boroughs of New York. Each chapter features at least two primary sources accompanied by discussion questions for students. Authoritative and comprehensive, The Restless City remains a superior resource for students and scholars interested in the rich history of the nation’s premier urban center.
2. City of The Whirlpool: 1500-1799
3. Gotham, the Paradoxical City, 1800-1840
4. The Proud and Passionate City: 1840-1865
5. The Empire City: Questioning the Gilded Age, 1865-1899
6. The City of Ambition: Progressivism on Trial, 1900-1919
7. The Big Apple: Pursuing the Dream, 1920-1945
8. The World City, 1945-1969
9. The Threatened City, 1973-2000
10. The Restless City, 2001-2015