424 pages | 76 B/W Illus.
The Routledge Encyclopedia of Traditional Chinese Culture offers an in-depth discussion of cultural aspects of China from the ancient period to the pre-modern era, lasting over 5,000 years, comprised of 7,000 word pieces by more than 20 world-leading academics and experts.
Addressing areas such as China studies, cultural studies, cultural management, and more specific areas – such as religion, opera, Chinese painting, Chinese calligraphy, material culture, performing arts, and visual arts – this encyclopedia covers all major aspects of traditional Chinese culture.
The volume is intended to be a detailed reference for graduate students on a variety of courses, and also for undergraduate students on survey courses to Chinese culture.
Aspects of traditional Chinese culture Chan Sin-wai
1.Architecture in traditional China Nancy S. Steinhardt
2. Agriculture in traditional China Liu Yingchun and Wang Haiyan
3. Bees in Chinese culture David Pattinson
4. Jingju: The treasures of classical Chinese theatre Li Ruru
5. Boat/ship building in traditional China Han Qing and Liu Yingchun
6. Buddhism in China Xue Yu
7. Chinese calligraphy Xu Yangsheng and Chan Sin-wai
8. Cantonese culture Chan Sin-wai
9. Cantonese opera Chan Sau-yan
10. Chinese culture in popular sayings and famous quotes Chan Sin-wai
11. The art of Chinese painting: Hong Kong perspective Tang Hoi-chiu
12. Confucianism Cheung Yu-kit
13. Education in traditional China Thomas H.C. Lee
14. Eight Characters, Five Elements, and Chinese Fortune telling Li Chao
15. Embroidery in China Margaret Lee
16. An overview of Chinese fortune telling in traditional times Richard J. Smith
17 Rouquan – A mysterious school of Chinese martial arts Devin Tam, Wang Ling, and Zhang Yaoting
18. Handicraft in traditional China Wang Haiyan and Liu Yingchun
19. Some mysteries of Kunqu music and its melodic characteristics Lindy Li Mark
20. Leisure in traditional Chinese culture Ma Huidi and Liu Er
21. Chinese shadow play Li Jie
22. Taijiquan as a unique living embodiment of Chinese philosophy: its essence, content, and terminology Kit Chunyu