This invaluable collection of information provides an in-depth guide to the regional dimension of the politics and economy of this vast and complex country. Incomparable in its coverage, which includes a detailed chronology for India as a whole, a bibliography, contact details for leading officials, and an historical account and economic survey for each of the twenty-nine states and seven territories, it supplies the reader with a more complete understanding of India as a whole.
Table of Contents
- Two introductory essays examining the political evolution of the federation and contemporary issues in relations between the states and the central Government
- A comprehensive chronology covering major events from throughout India’s history
- Major economic and demographic statistics of the territorial units, including useful comparative data
- Information about the structure and organization of the national Government in India
This section provides a wealth of information on each of the 29 states and 7 territories. Each chapter includes:
- A map, plus geographical details: location, physical description, climate and population
- An account of the history of the territory, followed by a description of the current political situation
- An economic survey, including statistics such as net state domestic product and details of, for instance, infrastructure, agriculture, industry and tourism
- A short directory of essential names and addresses of leading officials
Part Three—A select bibliography of books
Territories and states are listed alphabetically (together with a gazetteer of alternative or historical names).