This collection draws together the most significant writings on the economics of transition. Although there are a wide range of examples from different countries and industries, the focus is on analysis of the key issues. These include:
* macroeconomics and stabilization
* liberalization and the establishment of markets
* property rights and the legal framework
* reform of banking and finance, agriculture, and the trading system
* the functioning of labour markets
This collection draws on material from an enormous range of sources. It includes articles by Barry Eichengreen, Oliver Blanchard, Stanley Fischer and Janos Kornai.
As the world economy enters the new century it is undergoing the most dramatic structural changes since the Second World War. These are marked by:
* the emergence of regional trading blocs in Europe, Asia and in North America
* the transformation of the former socialist economies
* the creation of a new world trading system with an emphasis on freer trade
* the continuing emergence of East and Southeast Asia as the world's most dynamic economic regions.
Each set contains a comprehensive new introduction by a leading expert in the field, and a selection of key material arranged according to major themes. The Critical Perspectives are an essential resource for those interested in the changing global economy including economists, policy makers and students of international business and international relations.
Sets in preparation include
The Growth Economies of Asia