About the Book
This renowned reference title provides comprehensive statistical and directory information, alongside up-to-date commentary on political and economic developments in these vast North American nations. Combining impartial analsis with reliable facts and figures, this fully revised and updated fourteenth edition serves as an extensive library of information on these nations and their constituent states, provinces and territories.
In the new edition of The USA and Canada:
- relevant essays reflect key developments of the past year, including: dramatic political shifts following the November 2010 US mid-term elections and the 2011 Canadian general election; the changing priorities of US foreign policy, including the security transition in Afghanistan; the emergence of a new framework for US-Canadian integration; and the ongoing effects of the global financial crisis
- a brand new essay examines the role of the Media in North America
- all statistical and directory sections have been fully updated by Europa's dedicated research team
- comprehensive historical, political and economic information
- contributions from acknowledged regional experts
- leading experts analyze topics of importance to the region as a whole, including: US-Canadian integration, climate change, immigration, the media, the North American energy market, and North American responses to the rise of the BRICs.
- comprehensive statistical and directory sections covering Public Affairs, The Economy and Society
Each country is dealt with in greater detail within its own section. The country chapters include:
- a chronology of political events
- essays covering key socio-political and economic themes, including: Recent Political Developments; Foreign Affairs; Constitution; Energy Policy; Economic Overview; Agriculture; Manufacturing and Construction; Service Industries; Trade; Health and Social Policy
- additional essay topics, including: US Defence Policy; the Role of Religion in US Politics; the USA and the Global Financial Crisis; Diversity and Equality in the USA; Aboriginal Peoples in Canada
- historical, political and economic overviews of each of the US states and Canadian provinces and territories
- statistical surveys, including the latest available figures on area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications and media, and education
- a comprehensive directory section providing essential contact names, addresses, and e-mail and internet details in key areas such as government, political organizations, diplomatic representation, the judiciary, religion, the media, finance, trade and industry (including major companies), transport, tourism, defence and education.
'The USA and Canada should be essential desk furniture for government and business. And, of course, a permanent feature of library reference shelves.' -Reference Reviews
'A truly valuable and impressive work.' - International Journal on World Peace
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- REFERENCE / General