Theory/Theatre is a unique and highly engaging introduction to literary theory as it relates to theatre and performance. It is a brilliantly clear and readable examination of current theoretical approaches, from semiotics and poststructuralism, through cultural materialism, postcolonial studies and feminist theory.
In this, the third and fully revised edition of this now classic text, Mark Fortier particularly expands and updates the sections on:
- queer theory
- postmarxist theory
- technology and virtuality
- post-colonialism and race
Also including completely new writing on cognitive science, fast becoming a cornerstone of theatre and performance theory, this revised edition is an indispensable addition to every theatre student’s collection.
Table of Contents
1. Theatre, life and language: semiotics, phenomenology and deconstruction
2. Subjectivity and theatre: psychoanalytic, gender and reader-response theory
3. World and theatre: materialist, postmodern and post-colonial theory
"Fortier’s book is still extremely useful—authoritative, comprehensive, and evenhanded."
- CHOICE, R. Remshardt, University of Florida