This book presents a balanced blend of fundamental research such as principles and characteristics of machining of difficult-to-cut materials and coating techniques and in-depth practical information on coatings techniques and classifications, the effect of coating parameters on machining responses, and finite element analysis of the machining performance of coated tools. In addition to the benefits of the thin-film deposition on the cutting tools, the limitations of the coating deposition techniques and the coating properties are also discussed.
- Associates the application of coating technology for improving machining characteristics of difficult-to-cut materials.
- Elaborates effect of coating architecture on the output machining parameters.
- Explores the performance of coated cutting tools.
- Discusses advanced coating systems and their application.
- Includes industrial case studies and practical implementations where coatings were applied for the machining of difficult-to-cut materials.
This book is aimed at researchers and graduate students in thin-films, coatings, machining, materials engineering, and manufacturing.
1. Introduction to machining
1.1 Mechanism of chip formation
1.2 Different metal cutting operations
1.3 Difficult-to-cut materials
1.4 Cutting tool materials
2. Machining Problems and Solutions
2.1 Machining difficulties and challenges
2.2 Available remedies to machining difficulties
2.3 Need of thin-films in machining
3. Coatings technologies
3.1 Physical vapour deposition
3.2 Chemical vapour deposition
3.3 Hybrid deposition techniques
4. Classification of Coatings
4.1 Generation of coatings
4.2 Classification based on coating material
4.3 Classification based on coating properties
4.4 Classification based on coating architecture/design
5. Application of coatings for Machining
5.1 Hard coatings
5.2 Low friction coatings
5.3 Application of hard and soft coatings hybrid
5.4 Application of duplex coatings
5.5 Other combinations
5.6 Limitations of Thin-films for machining of difficult-to-cut-materials
6. Effect of coatings on machining parameters
6.1 Effect of coating thickness
6.2 Effect of coating architecture/structure
6.3 Performance of coated tools under coolant/lubrication
7. Significance of Finite element analysis in analysing performance of coated cutting tools
7.1 Study of machining forces and stress distribution
7.2 Study of temperature distribution
7.3 Chip morphology analysis