Now in its eighth edition, Thinking Through Communication provides a balanced introduction to the fundamental theories and principles of communication. It explores communication in a variety of contexts—from interpersonal to group to mass media—and can be used in both theoryand skills-based courses. With a dynamic approach, Trenholm helps students to develop a better understanding of communication as a field of study, as well as its practical applications. This edition devotes attention to how new technologies are changing the ways we think about communication, with revised chapters on both traditional and social media.
Table of Contents
- The Communication Tradition
- Definitions, Models, and Perspectives
- Decoding Messages: Listening and Perception
- Encoding Messages: Spoken Language
- Encoding Messages: Nonverbal Communication
- Personal Media: Communicating in a Wired World
- Interpersonal Communication
- Public Communication
- Communicationg to Mass Audiences
- Intercultural Communication
Sarah Trenholm is Emerita Professor in the Department of Communication Studies at Ithaca College, New York, USA.
"Trenholm’s Thinking Through Communication: An Introduction to the Study of Human Communication introduces students to communication and its role in society."--Tom Warren, Oklahoma State University
To gain access to the instructor resources for this title, please visit the Instructor Resources Download Hub. You will be prompted to fill out a registration form which will be verified by one of our sales reps.