Understanding how places, particularly cities and towns, are marketed to and consumed by tourists, is vital to anyone working in the tourism industry. By creating and promoting a unique branded destination, the successful marketer can attract new visitors to their city or tourism attraction. With the rise of social media, there is even more scope to explore how tourism marketers can use their own and other social media sites to communicate with today’s tech connected traveler.
In a new updated volume, Tourism Marketing for Cities and Towns provides thorough and succinct coverage of place marketing theory specific to the tourism industry. It focuses on clearly explaining how to develop the branded destination with special emphasis on product analysis, promoting authenticity and, new to this edition, the use of social media to create the personalized experiences desired by visitors. In addition, it contains a wide range of international examples and perspectives from a large variety of different stakeholders, alongside discussion questions and strategic planning worksheets. This book provides both practical advice with real-world application and a theoretical background to the field as a whole.
Written in an engaging style, this book will be valuable reading for upper level students and business practitioners of Tourism, Marketing, Urban Studies, Business Management and Leisure Studies.
Table of Contents
1. Developing a Marketing Plan for Tourism to Cities and Towns
2. Building Community Support for Tourism Development
3. Analyzing the City or Town as a Tourism Product
4. Analyzing the Internal and External Environment
5. Determining Marketing Strategy Using SWOT Analysis
6. Researching Current and Potential Visitors
7. Motivating, Segmenting and Targeting Visitors
8. Developing an Authentic Brand Image
9. Using Social Media for Content Marketing
10. Creating Paid, Owned and Earned Media
11. Promoting to Tour Groups and Meeting Planners
12. Implementing and Assessing the Tourism Marketing Plan
Bonita Kolb is Emeritus Professor at Lycoming College, Williamsport, USA, currently living in Nashville, Tennessee.