Treatment of the Addictions
Applications of Outcome Research for Clinical Management
- This format is currently out of stock.
This new book is full of helpful information on current methods for the treatment of alcohol and drug addiction. The first book to cover the major forms of treatment in a scholarly manner, Treatment of the Addictions discusses the various types of treatment available, focusing on those used most often. Chapters detail informative studies in the field and examine pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatment strategies, treatment effectiveness, and outcome research. The book stresses that although the field is rapidly changing, in part because of the current economic situation, effective treatments that have been confirmed by controlled studies and clinical practice are still available. Treatment of the Addictions begins with a history and overview of contemporary addictions treatment, moving on to examine:
- the changing nature of alcoholism treatment
- the effectiveness of abstinence-based treatment methods
- combined treatment for addictive and psychiatric disorders
- difficulty in diagnosing simultaneous psychological and addictive disorders
- problems in treating socially disadvantaged alcoholics and recommended solutions to these problems
- issues in matching patients to specific treatment programsThe book is an enlightening source of information and insights for counselors, physicians, and psychologists involved in the diagnosis or treatment of addictions, and a thorough resource for readers interested in current trends and future directions of addiction treatment.
Table of Contents
- History and Review of Contemporary Addiction Treatment
- Why Treatment for Alcohol Dependence Is Changing
- Addictions Treatment Outcomes
- Addiction Treatment in Psychiatric Settings
- Psychiatric Diagnosis in Drugs and Alcohol Addiction
- Treatment of the Socially Disadvantaged Alcoholic
- Matching in Addictions Treatment: How Do We Get There From Here?
- Pharmacotherapy in Alcoholism
- Reference Notes Included