About the Book
This renowned reference title provides essential statistical and directory material on these vast North American nations and the issues surrounding them. Completely revised and updated, this twelvth edition brings together statistical, factual and directory information on these two vast nations and their constituent states, provinces and territories.
- comprehensive geographical, historical, economic and political information
- contributions from acknowledged regional experts
- introductory essays of topical importance
- leading experts on the area analyze topics of interest and importance to the region as a whole, including: The Political Response to Climate Change in North America, US and Canadian Responses to the Rise of the BRICs, Renovation Deferred?: NAFTA and the Security and Prosperity Partnership; Changing Policies on Immigration the USA and Canada.
Each country is dealt with in greater detail within its own section. Part Two: USA, Part Three: Canada
Each country chapter includes:
- essays, including: US Policies and Government; US Domestic Politics; US Defence Policy; The US Judicial System; The Role of Religion in US Politics; The US Electoral System; In a Transitional State?: Health and Social Welfare Policy in the USA; Diversity and Equality in the USA; US Agriculture, US Service Industries; The Recent Political History of Canada; Canadian Energy Policy in 2009; and Canada’s Foreign Relations; Aboriginal peoples in Canada; Canadian, Domestic and International Trade; The Canadian Courts and Charter; The Welfare state in Canada; Canadian Maufacturing and Construction; Service Industries in Canada; New for this edition: US Foreign Policy Under President Obama; Energy Security and US Foreign Policy; The USA and the Global Financial Crisis; Manufacturing and Construction in the USA
- directory and statistics.
Other sections include:
The States of the USA and the Provinces and Territories of Canada. Providing historical and economic overviews of the constituent parts of the USA and Canada, as well as up to date and accurate information on state executives, government departments and legislatures.
'The USA and Canada should be essential desk furniture for government and business. And, of course, a permanent feature of library reference shelves.' --Reference Reviews
'A truly valuable and impressive work' -- International Journal on World Peace
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- REFERENCE / General
- REFERENCE / Yearbooks & Annuals