288 pages | 24 Color Illus. | 126 B/W Illus.
Understanding Laser Accidents provides a comprehensive reference addressing a wide a spectrum of laser accidents. The under-reporting and misreporting of laser accidents creates a blind spot for the laser management of institutions, laser users and laser safety officers. This book attempts to lift that veil. By giving details of why laser accidents occur, accident preparation, where to find laser accident information, elements of laser accident investigation, role of lessons learned and regulatory oversight of laser use. Chapters include a look at pilot illumination, fiber telecommunication, light show incidents and more as well as a detailed and honest review of three laser events that hold a mirror up to researchers and industrial laser users.
• Provides a comprehensive, single source devoted to laser accidents
• Covers elements of laser accident preparedness
• Provides detailed analysis of some laser accidents that share common threads across the research and industrial environment
• Contains information on where to find laser accident information
• Extensive information on the illumination of pilots
• Reviews laser regulatory oversight, non-beam hazards and laser safety tools
"This book presents a number of laser accident-prone situations and discusses many safety precautions, including the use of virtual reality, to avoid hazards caused by lasers. Being a Laser Safety Officer for many years, the editor has included his own views as well as the views of others in this book. This book is a useful guide for researchers and industrial laser users. Even a common reader will find this book informative and interesting."
~Reva Garg, Institute of Physics, University of Brasilia, Brazil
Why Laser Accidents Happen. Performing a Risk Analysis. Accident Stats. Where to Find Laser Accident Information. Laser Safety Terms. Laser Safety Terms. Skill of the Craft Hinds. Bio Effect. Damage Mechanisms. Ultrafast Biological Effect. Learning from Incidents. SLAC. NREL. INL. UC. LANL. Service Incidents. Regulations and Laser Safety. Pilot Illumination. Accident Preparation. Medical Examples. Treatment Options.