This helpful and accessible teacher resource offers over 800 innovative ways of studying the poetry which is prescribed for GCSE study. Unlocking Poetry not only provides poems in electronic format but also presents them in a variety of other forms which help students to undertake their own investigation and analysis, including:
- sequencing and collapsed-text activities;
- a special approach called a Word Wall and cloze test activities;
- tools for annotating the poem using a data projector or interactive whiteboard;
- ideas for using the poems creatively with ICT or as an inspiration for original writing;
- a host of teaching tips and technical guidance which can be applied to any electronic text.
Activities can serve as a workshop for innovative ideas, with techniques for study that can easily be applied to other texts, and can be shared, filed and made available to many users simultaneously.
The CD-ROM contains all the pre-1914 poems from the AQA, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC anthologies and is full of practical suggestions on how to approach individual poems. It will be an invaluable resource to Secondary school English Teachers and students on PGCEs and ITT courses.
Trevor Millum is an ex-English teacher and has been Director of the National Association for the Teaching of English (NATE). He has written widely on poetry, creativity and the use of ICT in English and is also well known as a children’s author.
Chris Warrenhas taught English for 19 years and is currently a director at Teachit. Working with Trevor Millum, Chris has co-written several books on English and ICT.