Update your vocabulary practices to meet the Common Core and improve students' word knowledge! This new, clearly-structured guide shows you how. It's packed with engaging, research-based, classroom-ready strategies for teaching vocabulary.
For each vocabulary recommendation, you'll learn the research behind it, how it relates to the Common Core, and how to implement it in your classroom. The practical ideas for teaching vocabulary will benefit all of your students, including your English language learners, with specific connections to ELLs included throughout the book. This is a must-have resource for teaching vocabulary and meeting the Common Core standards!
1. Select Words to Teach
2. Use Strategies to Engage Students in Word Study
3. Help Students Come Up with Their Own Definitions
4. Assess Student Use of Words in Authentic Writing and Speaking
5. Teach Students Morphological Strategies to Figure Out Words They Do Not Know, in Addition to Context-Clue Strategies
6. Use Symbols and Pictures to Help Bring Vocabulary to Life
7. Highlight and Use a Word Wall in Classroom Instruction
8. Use and Apply Vocabulary Words Regularly (versus Isolated Practice)
9. Allow Opportunities for Wide Reading so Students Are Exposed to Words All the Time, in a Variety of Books
10. Model the Use of Academic Language at All Times, Setting High Expectations for Language Use