Why do I need a teacher when I’ve got Google? is just one of the challenging, controversial and thought-provoking questions Ian Gilbert poses in this urgent and invigorating book.
Questioning the unquestionable, this fully updated new edition will make you re-consider everything you thought you knew about teaching and learning, such as:
• Are you simply preparing the next generation of unemployed accountants?
• What do you do for the ‘sweetcorn kids’ who come out of the education system in pretty much the same state as when they went in?
• What’s the real point of school?
• Exams – So whose bright idea was that?
• Why ‘EQ’ is fast becoming the new ‘IQ’.
• What will your school policy be on brain-enhancing technologies?
• Which is the odd one out between a hamster and a caravan?
With his customary combination of hard-hitting truths, practical classroom ideas and irreverent sense of humour, Ian Gilbert takes the reader on a breathless rollercoaster ride through burning issues of the twenty-first century, considering everything from the threats facing the world and the challenge of the BRIC economies to the link between eugenics and the 11+.
As wide-ranging and exhaustively-researched as it is entertaining and accessible, this book is designed to challenge teachers and inform them – as well as encourage them – as they strive to design a twenty-first century learning experience that really does bring the best out of all young people. After all, the future of the world may just depend on it
Table of Contents
Preface 1. Save the World 2. The Future's Coming 3. The Great Educational Lie 4. So, Go On Then, Why Do I Need a Teacher When I’ve Got Google? 5. AQA v AQA
6. Your EQ Will Take You Further Than Your IQ 7. Nothing Is More Dangerous Than An Idea When It’s The Only Idea You’ve Got 8. It’s the Brain, Stupid 9. Neuromyths Debunked! 10. Your Hands In Their Brains 11. Talk to the Hand Coz the Nucleus Accumbens Ain’t Listening 12. Is That An Iron Bar Through Your Frontal Lobes Or Are You Just Pleased To See Me? 13. Don’t Make ‘Em Mad, Make’ Em Think?
14. Teacher's Little Helper 15. The ‘F-Word’ 16. It Might be Touchy Feely But It’s Still The Most Important Thing You Do 17. What’s the Real Point of School? 18. An Accidental School System 19. Exams – So Whose Bright Idea Was That!? 20. Educated is not Enough 21. Is Yours a Teaching School or a Learning School? 22. Things That Get in the Way of the Learning That Are Nothing To Do with the Teaching 23. What Do You Use When You Don’t Know What To Do? 24. A Short Word on Thinking About Thinking 25. Remember to Succeed 26. How Are You Smart? 27. Muchos Pocos Hacen Un Mucho 28. Your Classroom Is Not Just An Environment In Which You Can Show How Clever You Are 29. Teach Less, Learn More 30. Enthusiasm and the Sort of 7% rule
31. Why Do I Need a Teacher When I own Google? 32. Everyone Remembers…
Ian Gilbert is an educational innovator, award-winning writer, entrepreneur and inspirational speaker, delivering training to schools and colleges in the UK and worldwide for his ‘Independent Thinking’ organization.