Winter Blues Survival Guide
A Workbook for Overcoming SAD
- This format cannot be shipped to your selected country.
- The Taylor & Francis Group cannot sell Guilford Press products in your shipping region.
*Record your symptoms, such as low moods, fatigue, sleep problems, and food cravings.
*Gain awareness of your seasonal patterns--to anticipate problems before they arise.
*Determine which remedies to try, including light therapy, meditation, lifestyle changes, antidepressants, and psychotherapy.
*Keep track of what works and how long it takes for symptoms to improve.
*Spend your high-energy months equipping yourself for the times when energy is low.
By working through the book's simple checklists and fill-in-the-blank forms (you can download and print additional copies as needed), you'll create your own blueprint for greater well-being all year long. Let there be light!
See also Dr. Rosenthal's Winter Blues, Fourth Edition, which provides a comprehensive overview of SAD and its treatment.
Table of Contents
I. Everything You Need to Know to Feel Less SAD
1. What Do You Know about Your Relationship with the Seasons?
2. Your Seasonal Profile
3. What's Making You Feel So SAD?
4. Identifying the Best Treatments for You
5. Planning to Beat SAD
6. Tailoring Your Plan: Awareness, Preparation, and Prevention Throughout the Revolving Year
II. Treatments, Tools, and Strategies You Can Use
7. Light Therapy
8. More Light: Brightening Your Environment, at Home and Away
9. Lightening the Load: Acceptance, Stress Management, and Support
10. A Life(style) Less SAD: Exercise, Supplements, and Substances
11. Dietary Strategies for Controlling Weight and SAD
12. Transcending the Blues: Meditation and Relaxation
13. Finding Your Happiness: Pleasant Activities
14. Using Your Head: Helpful Thoughts
15. Medication for SAD
Appendix: What I Would Like You to Know about SAD
Christine M. Benton is a Chicago-based writer and editor.
"Dr. Rosenthal has advanced health once again! Dr. Rosenthal--who described SAD and brought light therapy to the attention of the world--has put together a do-it-yourself workbook for identifying, treating, and preventing winter depression. With easy, step-by-step questions and guidance, this workbook is like having your own personal SAD expert at your fingertips. When friends or patients ask me how they can treat their SAD, this is the guide I will recommend."--Dan A. Oren, MD, Adjunct Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Yale University
"This book makes effective use of the best scientific information about treating SAD. You'll find all the tools you need to develop and implement your own plan to feel like yourself again and be more productive all year round."--Chris Thompson, MD, FRCP, FRCPsych, Chief Medical Officer, Priory Hospitals Group, United Kingdom
"This outstanding book will be of great interest to everyone who experiences seasonal mood changes."--Leo Sher, MD, Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai