Women in Mid-Life
Planning for Tomorrow
- This format is currently out of stock.
Women in Mid-Life is an indispensable guide that contains essential information professionals need to help women plan for retirement as early as possible. This perceptive book recognizes that retirement is vastly different for women as compared to men and presents practical strategies that prepare women for their later years and reflect the specific realities of women. Educators, researchers, and service providers concerned about women's welfare will find this a valuable “survival kit” for preserving women's quality of life after retirement.With the help of Women in Mid-Life, readers will learn how to identify the issues women in mid-life must confront to enjoy a secure retirement. Important subjects covered by this guide include an overview of the literature on pre-retirement planning for middle-aged women and a list of specific self-help materials, professional and academic publications, and educational programs sponsored by national organizations available to assist women with pre-retirement planning. Eye-opening chapters describe a number of challenges that women in mid-life will face as they approach retirement. Some of the important issues described in Women in Mid-Life include:
- the current state-of-the-art concerning pre-retirement planning for women
- the economic picture of future generations of retirement age women
- the social, psychological, and physical issues that must be addressed by mid-life women prior to retirement
- current trends that will have a profound impact on mid-life women facing retirement (long-term care, mid-life divorce, etc.)
- the development of pre-retirement planning programs for women
- existing resources that will be of benefit to women engaged in pre-retirement planningA great majority of women now approaching old age will be single through lifestyle choice, separation, divorce, or widowhood, have inadequate retirement income, and be afflicted with a long-term chronic illness. This book is an essential resource for professionals working with women in mid-life who need to prepare for a secure retirement. Pre-retirement planning specialists, researchers and educators concerned with women's issues, directors and staff of women's centers, gerontology faculty, and health care and social service professionals will not only learn how to identify the challenges that older women face, but also learn practical strategies that women in mid-life can use to prepare for these retirement challenges.
Table of Contents
- Overview of the Literature on Pre-Retirement Planning for Women
- Economic Viability Among Post-Retirement Aged Women
- Women and Well-Being in Retirement: What Role for Public Policy?
- Pre-Retirement Health Needs of Women
- Women and Long-Term Care Planning: The Adverse Impact of Women's Perceptions
- Psychosocial and Economic Adjustment of Mid-Life Women After Divorce: A National Study
- Women's Transitions in Retirement: The Role of the Retirement Planner
- Pre-Retirement Planning for Women Resources
- Reference Notes Included