224 pages | 32 B/W Illus.
A practical guide for students undertaking their dissertation, Writing Successful Undergraduate Dissertations in Social Sciences uses a mixture of exercises, strategies, case study material and further reading to give hints and tips on beginning and managing a research project and working with supervisors.
Providing an accessible overview of the essential steps in conducting research and writing dissertations, this fully updated edition contains new sections on:
• the varied sources of support for students and how to make use of them
• the use of modern technologies, and digital platforms in data collection, storage and processing
• the important issues relating to ethnographic and feminist research
• how to publish through peer review publications or using self-publishing platforms
• the General Data Protection Regulation and legal issues relating to collection, storage and use of personal data
• the skills that students have acquired through writing dissertation and how those skills could become useful for future career and employability
• how students can relate their dissertations to existing theories and concepts in social sciences that relate to their dissertation
Packed with proven practical advice from ‘real life’ data, case studies and examples, Writing Successful Undergraduate Dissertations in the Social Sciences is an essential and dependable starting point and guide for any student beginning their dissertation journey in the social sciences.
List of Figures, Tables, Case Studies and Appendices
Chapter 1 What is a dissertation?
Chapter 2 Getting support
Chapter 3 Research questions and getting started on your dissertation
Chapter 4 Searching and reviewing literature
Chapter 5 Choosing an appropriate research methodology for your dissertation
Chapter 6 Types and sources of data
Chapter 7 Data collection
Chapter 8 Ethics and legal issues regarding social research and personal data
Chapter 9 Analysing quantitative data
Chapter 10 Analysing qualitative data
Chapter 11 Writing the dissertation
Chapter 12 Making the most of your dissertation
Appendix 1 List of Common Statistical Tests
Appendix 2 Socio-economic deprivation in English towns and cities – 2015