Ann Garrison Darrin
BiographyAnn has extensive background in technology and engineering management in Government (NASA and DOD), Academia and Industry. She is a recognized expert in aerospace engineering management, and advanced miniaturization of electronics. Ms. Darrin is the Co Chair and founder of the Mid Atlantic Micro Nano Alliance, a member of the Maryland Space Business Roundtable and technical reviewer for IEEE Sensors. Ann is the editor/author of several books on space/engineering published by CRC press: Systems Engineering for Micro and Nano Scale Technologies, Handbook of Space Engineering, Archaeology and Heritage and MEMS and Microsystems for Aerospace Applications. She has over 25 years experience in Aerospace Engineering Management, five of which were with NASA GSFC as Division Chief Assurance Technologies, which included electronic components, packaging and materials sciences. At the Laboratory she has held the positions of Technology Manager, Engineering Design and Fabrication in TSD, Program Manager and Group Supervisor in the Research Center and currently Managing Executive in Space Department. Ann has managed large and small programs and holds a proven track record in building programs from the ground up. This has enabled Ms. Darrin to participate in many recognized “firsts” through out her career: • First demonstration of Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS) on the skin of a satellite on ST-5, flown 2005 by NASA.
• The first demonstration of reconfigurable hardware in spaceflight application using SRAMs flown by FEDSAT Dec. 2002.
• The first demonstration of IR communications within a satellite ground demo, which was a competitively won award.
• The first one chip micro dosimeter for total dose radiation effects which she is co-PI on a JHUAPL IRAD.
• Assignment to the Argentinean Government for their first satellite on site in San Carlos de Bariloche, Arg. With responsibility for the pathfinder first builds for SAC-B Satellite.
• First demonstration of qualified Chip-On-Board in Space with GGS Polar SEPs.
• The first use of flip chip technology to directly attach 3-D stacked memories to substrate for space flight qualification.
• At MA/COM Semiconductor Products introduced statistical process control into to both the Silicon and the GaAs Foundries.
• At Sertech Labs co developed the first pre-qualified chip sales line for use by hybrid manufacturers.
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
Aerospace Engineering, Micro Electro Mechanical Systems