BiographyDr. Christer Karlsson is a professor of innovation and operations management at Copenhagen Business School where he is also academic director of the CBS Competitiveness platform He is concurrently professor at the European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management (EIASM) in Brussels, visiting professor at NIMI, Chengdu, Sichuan, China and professor emeritus at Stockholm School of Economics. He is a fellow of IVA, Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences.
He started and has since then chaired the board of the annual International Product Development Management Conference. He holds a M.Sc. and a Ph.D. from Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg in the area of industrial management. His main research interest is in strategy and management of innovation and technological development and production networks. He is a member of several editorial boards of professional journals including IJOPM, JPIM, IJIM, IJATM.
Product development management
• Project types and their contribution to competitiveness
• The role of product platforms
• Cross-functional integration and project organization
Product development in industrial systems
• Development activities deployment
• Development sourcing
Production system design
• Global production networks
• Sourcing and partnership, outsourcing and off-shoring
• Lean production
Some scientific publications
• Technological Level and Product Development Cycle Time. Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 16, No. 4, 1999
• The Development of Industrial Networks – Challenges to Operations Management in an Extraprise. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol. 23, No. 1, 2003
• Inter-firm Product Platform Development in the Automotive Industry. International Journal of Innovation Management, Vol. 9, No. 2, June 2005
• Managing New Technology Integration: Integrating Software in Manufactured Products. International Journal of Innovation Management, Vol. 9, No. 3, September 2005
• Counteracting forces in Multi-branded Product Platform Development. Creativity and Innovations Management, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2007
• The Manufacturing Extraprise: An emerging production network paradigm. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 18, No. 8, 2007. Invited.
• Multibranded Platform Development: A Corporate Strategy with Multimanagerial Challenges. Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 24, No. 6, 2007
• Researching Operations Management, Routledge, 2009. Editor and chapters 1, 2, 6, 9 author. Chapter 1 Introduction, chapter 2 Researching Operations Management, chapter 6 Longitudinal Field Studies, chapter 9 Concluding remarks
• Integrating new technology in established organizations – A mapping of integration mechanisms, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol. 30, No. 7, 2010
• Product Platform Development in Industrial Networks, International Journal of Automotive Technology and Management, Vol. 11, No. 3, 2011
• Technology Sharing in Manufacturing Business Groups, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2012
• Product platform replacements: Challenges to managers, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol. 32, No. 6, 2012
• Forms of innovation openness in global automotive groups, International Journal of Automotive Technology and Management, Vol. 13, No. 1, 2013
• Stratifying the Development of Product Platforms: Requirements for Resources, Organization and Management styles, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 30, No. S1, 2013
Links to Christer Karlsson
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
Main research interest is in strategy and management of innovation and technological development and production networks.