BiographyBill Reynolds joined the faculty at Yale School of Drama (YSD) in 1982; he continues to teach occasional workshops in theatre safety for YSD grad students. He retired in June 2017 from the Yale School of Drama/Yale Repertory Theatre (YSD/YRT) as the Director of Theater Safety and Occupational Health. Prior to creating this position in 2009, he served as Associate Technical Director, and then as Director of Facility Operations for YSD/YRT. He graduated with a BA from Northern Michigan University in 1973, and he received an MFA in Technical Design and Production from Yale School of Drama in 1977.
Bill has presented theatre safety and health sessions at the New England Theatre Conference, the U.S. Institute for Theatre Technology, and the InfoComm conferences, and for the University Risk Managers and Insurers Association, the Center for Campus Fire Safety, the American Occupational Health Conference, and the Campus Safety, Health and Environmental Managers' Association. He is the USITT Safety & Health Vice-Commissioner for Education and the Student Alliance Program. Bill is an OSHA Authorized Outreach Trainer, and has taught OSHA-10 and-30 courses, theatre safety classes, and consulted on theater safety for such institutions as: The Julliard School; Wesleyan University; Carnegie-Mellon University; the University of California; Eastern Connecticut State University; Tencue Productions; The Alley Theatre; and Theatre Projects.
Bill is the author of the recently published book on theatre safety, Safety and Health for the Stage: Collaboration with the Production Process.
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
• Safety and Health Specialist in General Industry; OSHA Training Institute Education Center, Keene State College, Keene, NH.
• OSHA Authorized General Industry Outreach Trainer.
• OSHA 10-hour Training Certificate in General Industry Safety and Health.
• Crowd Manager Training, State of Rhode Island.
• American Heart Association Heartsaver First Aid, and CPR/AED.
• George Pierce Baker Award for Excellence, Yale School of Drama/Yale Repertory Theatre.