BiographySubijoy Dutta is a Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) in Maryland, USA.
Mr. Dutta designed an innovative well intercepting plan to successfully kill the 1.4m gal/day Deepwater Horizon oil spill (Macondo Well) in Aug 2010. Plan was based on the bathymetric profile of the seabed. He Authored the following books-
o Environmental Treatment Technologies for Municipal, Industrial and Medical Wastes: Remedial Scope and Efficacy, 2nd Edition – ISBN 978-0-367-43550-9, Taylor & Francis Group, CRC Press, Sept. 6, 2021
o Sustainable Mining Practices – A Global Perspective, published July 2005 by Balkema Publishers (now a subsidiary of Taylor & Francis Group, UK). Co-authored with Dr. R. Rajaram, and Krishna Parameswaran.
o Environmental Treatment Technologies for Hazardous and Medical Wastes – Remedial Scope and Efficacy, published in March 2002 by Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company.
His major professional experience summary under various positions are listed below.
Managing Director, S&M Engineering, LLC (Aug 1984 to Present):
• Designed, developed and implemented-
o Deep pond waste water treatment system.
o Yamuna River remediation plans using constructed wetland-based treatment system.
• Developed Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) Management Plans for Gangtok, Sikkim.
• Conducted GIS based survey with field validation of site data using GPS info for Dhapa Landfill waste piles in Kolkata, West Bengal.
• Provided training in environmental treatment technologies for waste management at various locations in US, India and Philippines.
• Developed medical waste management plans and grey water and potable water separation systems for the Vellore CMC.
• Provided guidance on balancing economic development, energy independence, and environmental/ groundwater protection
• Assisted Iloilo City, Philippines and the CPCB, New Delhi, India by reviewing their plans for environmental treatment and waste management operations to ensure safe and effective methods and operations.
• Evaluated groundwater quality for determining impacts on usable water.
• Worked closely with EPA’s groundwater hydrology/UIC division on impacts of fracking to groundwater for public protection.
• Assisted in developing plans for the MSW management of Balikpapan city, Indonesia.
• Evaluated an alternative site for MSW disposal using EPA’s site selection criteria for Balikpapan.
• Developed household hazardous waste collection centers for different localities in Iloilo city, Philippines.
• Developed a Citizen’s Guide to Water Conservation and Lawn care, which provided practical information for residents to apply and make a difference in Loudoun County, VA.
Founding Director, Rivers of the World Foundation (Jul 2007 to Present):
• Worked on the Yamuna River remediation effort from 1993 to identify the contaminated discharges to the river from the greater Delhi area.
• Worked closely with the Lions Club of Delhi Capital and the World Health Organization.
• Developed plans for –
o A wetland-based treatment system for treating the wastewater from the Khyber Pass drain, Delhi, which was discharging wastes directly into the Yamuna River.
o Cascading aeration system for the Kotlah drain flowing into the Yamuna River after confluence with the Barapullah Nullah (drain)
• Studied the Barak River (Silchar/NE India/Assam) pollution problem by conducting a 40-Km paddle boat trip with local team. Identified issues and suggested remedial steps.
• Providing training in water and waste management areas to students, local communities, teachers and NGOs in various universities and institutions in India, Philippines, and Nepal.
• Manage various teams and coordinate with more than 100 volunteers all over the world to carry out local water/stream protection and awareness projects.
Lead Petroleum Engineer, U.S. Department of Interior/BLM
(Jun 2012 to Jun 2020) :
• Project manager/primary author of -
o BLM 2015 Hydraulic Fracturing Rule and
o 2017 HF Rescission Rule.
• Authored oil and gas operations safety bulletins.
• Reduced fatalities in BLM operations from six in 2013-2014 to zero in 2018-2019.
• Managing exploration, development, and production of the nation's onshore resources.
• Meet with international delegations and provide presentations on BLM O&G
• Authored Bond IM and major undesirable events (Spills/Incidents) IM
• Evaluation and modeling oil and gas reserves as a BLM rep. for the Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board (FASAB).
• Worked closely with the Economics Division of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM)
• Respond to Congressional enquiries.
• Balancing economic development, energy independence, and environmental protection.
Senior Environmental Engineer, US EPA (Jan 1992 to May 2012):
• Assisted in the development of --
o A Database for Fate Studies involving pesticide registration for the Division.
o A document search engine for the divisional scientists
• Led a team of Scientists and Engineers from the EPA, Industries, and the States to develop a National guidance.
• Designed an innovative Sidetracking Well intercepting plan to successfully kill the Deep Horizon Gulf Spill in August 2010.
• Evaluation and modeling Pesticide runoff – EXAMS - PRZM Exposure Simulation Shell
• Evaluated and analyzed many complex issues and briefed senior management in EPA’s OPPT, ORIA, OSWER, and OW.
• Actively participated in EPA’s office of solid waste reorganization and PCB amendment rule.
• Provided EPA training on Hazardous and medical waste management in India.
• Worked on GIS/Geospatial data analysis for the Loudoun Environmental Indicator Project (LEIP). (on detail to George Washington University, DC)
• Used 15 Environmental Indicators including remote sensing to evaluate the impacts of fast growth and deforestation.
• Coordinated with NGOs and community groups.
Environmental Engineer, US Air Force, Tinker Air Force Base, OK (Sep 1989 to Jan 1992)
• Designed and Developed groundwater treatment systems for a superfund site and three other waste sites within two years.
• Saved more than $800,000 in cleanup cost by using innovative methodology in conducting the cleanups.
• Planned and implemented exhumation for a buried Radioactive waste.
• Completed remediation of two Radioactive waste disposal sites within a period of 4 months.
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
Safe Management of Municipal, Industrial and Medical Waste. Groundwater pollution control and treatment, Clean/Renewable Energy, Water and wastewater protection, treatment, and monitoring. Rivers, streams and Lakes monitoring, analysis and protection. Climate change issues, analysis and education to students and communities. Using remote sensing technologies for watershed analysis. Providing technical help and support to developing countries and underserved communities.
Hiking, music, visiting and learning from well balanced natural systems in various parts of the world. Like to speak in various languages including Bengali, English, Hindi, Assamese, Nepalese, Española, and Khasi (India).
Published: Jul 08, 2005 by Proceedings of the ESRI user Conference 2005
Authors: Roper, W.E, and Dutta, S.
Subjects: Energy & Clean Technology, Engineering - Environmental, Environmental Science, Water Science & Engineering
A variety of advanced technologies are available to enhance planning, design, management, operation, and maintenance of pipeline system. Aerial and satellite remote sensing integrated with GIS represents one area of rapid development that can be leveraged to assist pipeline risk assessment to assure the safety of pipeline facilities.
Published: Jul 17, 2003 by Proceedings of Coastal Zone 2003,
Authors: Dutta, S., Roper, W., E.,
Watershed management plan of the Susquehanna river covering Delaware, Maryland and Virginia.