BiographyDr Exbrayat earned his M.S. and Ph.D. in 1974 and 1977, respectively, from Montpellier University (France). He earned a D.Sci. in 1986 from Paris 6 University. He became professor at Lyon Catholic University (UCLy) in 1987, and also Professor at Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes (EPHE) in 1991. He was the head of a School of Histology for 25 years, and dean of the Faculty of Sciences (1997 until 2005). To-day, he teaches several aspects of animal biology, histology, and also history and philosophy of sciences. He is deputy head of research of UCLy. He is a member of several scientific societies, and published numerous papers and 13 books.
- Histology, histochemistry, immunohistochemistry and related subjects;
- Gymnophionan (Caecilians), a little known order of Amphibians;
- Morphological and histological aspects of males and female reproductive tracts in vertebrates throughout reproductive cycles;
- Morphological aspects of animal embryogenesis;
- Science and Society
Areas of Research / Professional Expertise
1. Sciences: morphological aspects and regulation of plasticity of animal organs and organisms:
- Variations of genital tracts and endocrine organs during reproductive cycles, related to natural (climates, seasons) and artificial (pollutants, endocrine disrupters) external and internal (endocrine, genetics) factors,
- Several aspects of embryonic development in vertebrates,
2. History and philosophy of sciences: especially evolutionary biology with questions requested by relations between science and society and science and religions.
- Evolutionary biology
- History and philosophy of sciences
- Literature, music (especially organ)