About the Book
Need to know how to write and report the news? Want to know how to deliver it simultaneously for a television format, blog, Twitter, Facebook, website, and more? Broadcast News Writing, Reporting, and Producing, Sixth Edition shows you how it’s done. While retaining intensive coverage of the fundamental principles of delivering the news, this new edition brings brand new coverage of the how’s, why’s, when’s, and where’s—and it’s all designed for the digital newsroom.
- Comprehensive coverage of how to function in a multiple-platform, digital newsroom
- Presents the fundamental concepts of journalism, whether for TV, web, Twitter, Facebook, or other digital platforms
- Brand new companion website features original video tutorials of necessary skillsets for journalists, including lighting structures, how to hold a microphone, properly conducting an interview—an incredible wealth of resources for aspiring journalists
New to the sixth edition:
- Reorganized to reflect the ever-changing landscape of the industry—material on Convergent Media and Network and Global News have been incorporated throughout the text
- Updated throughout with information on social media and digital technology practices with regard to delivering the news
- Updated illustrations and examples throughout the text
- Additional writing examples and new website links
- New Fast Fact boxes with short, easy-to-digest information
Table of Contents
PART 1 ACQUIRING THE NEWS: Locating the News; Developing Sources; Collecting Information from Documents; Reporting Assignments; Specialty Reporting. PART 2: WRITING THE NEWS: News Writing Mechanics; News Writing Style; Writing Compelling Leads. PART 3: REPORTING THE NEWS: Fieldwork; Interviewing; Covering Planned Events; Reporting Live; Voiceovers, Packages, and Story Formats. PART 4: PRODUCING THE NEWS: Producing the Television Newscast; Producing the Radio Newscast; Delivering the News.
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Journalism