About the Book
The Cold War examines the complex arguments which divided East and West following the end of the Second World War, and analyzes its eight major phases, including:
* the emergence of the Cold War
* Coexistence and Detente
* Glasnost in the late 1980s.
Combining factual overview and background discussion of the key issues such as the nuclear threat and who, if anyone, won the Cold War, with analysis of source material, students will find this a must-have in the study of this major historical event.
'The book is mainly aimed at A-Level and undergraduate students and as such it is very successful. It is lively, with many telling quotations to illustreate various points. - Seer
'It is evident that Lightbody is up-to-date on the most important recent scholarship on the Cold War … It can be highly recommended as a text for A-level students and possibly for introductory university courses.' - Journal of Contemporary History
About the Series
Questions and Analysis in History contain the key elements essential to the study of history, whilst also offering a guide to best practice in essay writing and history skills. Each chapter of every book is organized around the key questions which historians debate, and hence, examiners look for. In addition, these short texts include a systematic examination of a variety of primary sources through questions and worked answers.
Through presenting analysis of source material as answers to questions, these books offer:
* a model of essay writing which reflects the skills required of students
* guidance with exam revision by focusing on type of questions set
* insight into the approach expected by examiners
* a starting point to launch students into their own investigations
* aid in acquiring sound techniques
* preparation for essays and document based questions
* promotion of discussion in class.
The series is regarded as the set of books that will push the student to an A grade. The books are both stretching and stimulating, and students have founf them invaluable during their revision for the final exams.
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- HISTORY / General