Drug use and abuse represents perhaps the most profound and high-profile issue facing sport today. Each major international championship seems to deliver a new drug-related controversy, while drug takers and sports administrators attempt to out-manoeuvre each other with new substances and new testing procedures.
Drugs in Sport - 3rd Editionis a fully revised and updated version of the most comprehensive and authoritative text available on the subject. Leading figures in the field explore the hard science behind every major class of drug, as well as the social, ethical and organisational dimensions to the issue.
Key topics include:
* analysis of all the key substances, including anabolic steroids, EPO and human growth hormone
* alcohol and social drug use in sport
* creatine and nutritional supplements
* evidence and issues around doping control in sport.
This is a highly accessible text for all sports science and sports studies students, coaches and professional sports people, and sports administrators and policy-makers.
1. Drugs and their Targets 2. Drug Use and Abuse in Sport 3. Central Nervous System Stimulants 4. IOC Regulations in Relation to Drugs Used in the Treatment of Respiratory Tract Disorders 5. Androgenic Anabolic Steroids 6. Peptide and Glycoprotein Hormones and Analogues 7. Blood Doping and Sport 8. Drug Treatment of Inflammation in Sports Injuries 9. Alcohol and Sport 10. Central Nervous System Depressants and Antianxiety Drugs in Sport 11. Creatine and other Nutritional Supplements 12. Doping Control in Sport 13. Extent of Drug Misuse in Sport