About the Book
Interviewing for Journalists details the central journalistic skill of how to ask the right question in the right way. It is a practical and concise guide for all print and online journalists – professionals, students and trainees – whether writing news stories or features for newspapers and magazines, print and web.
Interviewing for Journalists focuses on the many types of interviewing, from the routine street interview, vox pop and press conference to the interview used as the basis of an in-depth profile. Drawing on previously published material and featuring interviews with successful columnists such as Emma Brockes, who writes for the Guardian and the New York Times andAndrew Duncan of Radio Times. Interviewing for Journalists covers every stage of interviews including research, planning and preparation, structuring questions, the importance of body language, how to get a vivid quote, checking material and editing it into different formats.
Interviewing for Journalists includes:
- a discussion about the significance and importance of the interview for journalism
- advice on how to handle face-to-face interviewees with politicians, celebrities and vulnerable people
- advice on dealing with PRs
- how to carry out the telephone and online interview
- tips on note-taking and recording methods including shorthand
- a discussion of ethical, legal and professional issues such as libel, doorstepping, off-the-record briefings and the limits of editing
- a glossary of journalistic terms and notes on further reading.
About the Series
The Media Skills series provides concise and thorough introductions to a rapidly changing media landscape. Each book is written by media and journalism lecturers or experienced professionals and is a key resource for a particular industry. Offering helpful advice and information and using practical examples from print, broadcast and digital media, as well as discussing ethical and regulatory issues, Media Skills books are essential guides for students and media professionals.
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Communication Studies
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Journalism
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Media Studies