About the Book
The 2007 edition of this respected international volume considers the challenges facing work related education arising from the rapid expansion of the global economy and the impact of this on labour markets and individual workers.
Including perspectives from the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Africa, Eastern Europe, Central Asia, South America, India and South Africa, the 2007 volume is split into four clear sections covering key topics, such as:
- the current global context when all work, even local, is influenced by global economic activity
- workers are expected to engage in lifelong learning but also be mobile and deal with rapidly changing working knowledge
- work related education must prepare workers for the global economy and specific contexts, where governments attract global companies by promoting education and literate workforces
- how the responsibility for providing work-education is distributed between schools, vocational education, HE, professional bodies, local and global companies, governments, the private sector and individuals
- the pressures on formal education and training institutions to produce graduates with certain kinds of knowledge, skills and personal attributes.
Table of Contents
Section 1: What Counts as Working Knowledge and Who Says So Section 2: Knowing and Working in the Global Economy Section 3: Work, Working Life and Working Identities Section 4: Challenges for Work-Related Education
About the Series
Examining a different topical subject each year, these fascinating books put forward a wide range of perspectives and dialogue from all over the world. With the best and most pivotal work of leading educational thinkers and writers from 1965 to the present day, these essential reference titles provide a complete history of the development of education around the globe. Available individually or in library-ready sets, this is the indispensable atlas of education, mapping ever changing aspects of theory, policy, teaching and learning.
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- EDUCATION / General
- EDUCATION / Adult & Continuing Education
- EDUCATION / Educational Policy & Reform / General