Learning to teach involves hard work and careful preparation. To become an effective teacher requires subject knowledge, an understanding of your pupils and how they learn and the confidence to respond to dynamic classroom situations. Learning to Teach in the Secondary School 6th edition offers a comprehensive, in-depth and practical introduction to the skills needed to qualify as a teacher, and is designed to help you to develop those qualities that lead to good practice and a successful future in education.
With a focus on evidence-based practice and written by expert practitioners, 35 units cover key concepts and skills, including:
• Managing behaviour to support learning • Ways pupils learn
• Planning lessons and schemes of work • Motivating pupils
• Assessment • Inclusion and special educational needs
• Using ICT and digital technologies • Pupil grouping, progression and differentiation
• Managing time, workload and stress • Getting your first teaching post
This fully updated 6th edition includes five new units:
• Primary-secondary transition • Developing critical thinking
• Creating a language rich classroom • Education across the four home countries of the UK
• UK education in an international context
The book contains many examples of how to analyse practice to ensure pupil learning is maximised. Activities and tasks in each unit offer opportunities for you to analyse your own learning and performance. Masters level tasks and annotated further readings respond to the requirements for teachers to engage in M level work.
Learning to Teach in the Secondary School provides practical help and support for many of the situations and potential challenges you are faced with in school. Supported by the Learning to Teach Subjects in the Secondary School Series by the same editors, it is an essential purchase for every aspiring secondary school teacher.
Introduction 1. Becoming a Teacher 2. Beginning to Teach 3. Classroom Interactions and Managing Pupils 4. Pupil Differences 5. Helping Pupils Learn 6.Assessment 7. The School, Curriculum and Society 8. Your Professional Development 9. And Finally Appenidices