Teaching Secondary Mathematics, Second Edition is practical, student-friendly, and solidly grounded in up-to-date research and theory. The text is organized in three parts: General Fundamentals; Mathematics Education Fundamentals; and Content and Strategies. Throughout, emphasis is given to:
* Technology as a teaching tool. Technology is emphasized throughout the text, and many examples for use in secondary classrooms are included.
*Development of teaching professionals.By encouraging students to do a variety of problems, and to discuss and reflect on the problem settings, their teaching professionalism is extended and enhanced, they become more self-motivated, and can become life-long learners.
*Pedagogical features that engage and motivate students.A variety of activities stimulate the student to extend the knowledge base and begin building a framework that will be used in the secondary classroom, including reflective thought questions, mathematical challenges, technology-based applications, student-life-based exercises, games, tricks, and group discussions. Icons identify strands that students will find useful as they continue their professional development.
New in the Second Edition:
* All chapters are thoroughly revised and updated to incorporate current research and thinking.
* The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Standards 2000 are integrated throughout the text.
* The technology chapter is rewritten to reflect recent technological advancements.
* A totally new chapter on probability and statistics is included; it discusses developments that have come charging onto the scene as a result of the data-rich society in which we live.
* An application or activity lesson that puts the topics being discussed into action has been added to most chapters.
Value-added software!MathXpert Plus(TM) Calculus Assistant (a trademark of Recognix, Inc. dba MathXpert) is now packaged with the text. It provides a unique opportunity for learning algebra-based mathematics from Algebra 1 and 2 through trigonometry, pre-calculus, and calculus. There are over 6,700 built-in problems, but users can edit these problems, or type in their own problems. Problems are systematically solved as well as graphed. The solution, with statements and reasons for each step, is displayed on screen. This solution can be developed by the user step-by-step, or generated automatically by the program. If the user opts to develop a solution, general or specific hints are provided to guide the user to the correct solution. MathXpert Plus(TM) Calculus Assistant is a powerful teaching tool. It provides graph capability that uses variables with automatically created increase/decrease buttons, and assists teachers in presenting new topics to students. Multiple graphs can be displayed on one screen or several screens at the same time. The inclusion of MathXpert Plus(TM) Calculus Assistant with this text--at a great savings over the regular price--provides an outstanding opportunity for students to begin a collection of software that will help them become more effective teachers of mathematics at the secondary level.
Contents: Preface to the First Edition. Preface to the Second Edition. Part I: General Fundamentals. Introduction. Learning Theory, Curriculum, and Assessment. Planning. Skills in Teaching Mathematics. Part II: Mathematics Education Fundamentals. Technology. Problem Solving. Discovery. Proof. Part III: Content and Strategies. General Mathematics. Algebra I. Geometry. Algebra II and Trigonometry. Pre-Calculus. Calculus. Probability and Statistics.