Learn how to provide better service to distance information users!
This book is the result of the conference held in May, 2004 in Scottsdale, Arizona, focusing on librarians' challenges providing service to nontraditional faculty and students. Respected authorities discuss in detail specific problemsand fresh strategies and solutionsto further promote service to distance information users. Each chapter tackles a particular issue such as collaboration outside the contributor's organization or how services can be monitored and assessed to gauge quality, and fully explains what can be done to address those issues. Each distinguished contribution was carefully selected by a 26-member advisory board using a juried abstracts process. Thorough bibliographies, useful figures, tables, and graphs provide accessibility and clarify ideas.
Some of the topics in this book include:
- the promotion of library services to Native American students
- the planning and development process of a project to create a Web-based multi-media instruction tool for off-campus graduate students
- an examination of direct linking tools provided by major aggregators
- distance learning for the learning disabled
- distance learning implementation strategies for institutions
- course management software (CMS) and library services integration
- a survey of Association of Research Libraries offered services
- the do’s and don’ts of videoconferencing on and off-campus
- an eBooks collection study
- one-on-one research coaching via digital reference service
- an online tool that assesses students’ research skills and attitudes
- creating a library CD for off-campus students
- expanding student and faculty access to information services
- the collaboration with faculty on electronic course reserves
- developing assessment questions for services supporting off-campus learning programs
- providing secure off-campus access to library services beyond proxy servers
- and much, much more!
The Eleventh Off-Campus Library Services Conference Proceedings is an invaluable comprehensive resource detailing the latest challenges and solutions for on- and off-campus librarians.