About the Book
Now in its fifty-sixth edition, this title continues to provide the most up-to-date geo-political and economic information for this important world area.
- covers the Middle East and North Africa from Algeria to Yemen
- includes topical contributions from acknowledged experts on the region
- accurately and impartially records the latest political and economic developments
- provides comprehensive data on all major organizations in the region.
- introductory essays cover topics relating to the region as a whole, including: Arab–Israeli Relations 1967–2009; The Jerusalem Issue; Documents on Palestine; Nuclear Proliferation in the Middle East; Oil; Natural Gas;Islamic Banking and Finance and The Religions of the Middle East and North Africa
Individual chapters on each country incorporating:
- essays on the physical and social geography, recent history and economy of the country
- an extensive statistical survey of economic indicators, which include area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education
- a full directory with names, addresses and contact details covering the constitution, government, legislature, judiciary, political organizations, diplomatic representation, religious groups, the media, finance, trade and industry (including petroleum and natural gas), tourism, defence and educationA bibliography, providing suggestions for further research.
- includes all major international organizations active in the region, research institutes specializing in the region; and select bibliographies of books and periodicals covering the Middle East and North Africa.
'There is simply nothing else on the market that provides as much material on each of the countries of the Middle East and North Africa in one volume.' -- Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- REFERENCE / General
- REFERENCE / Yearbooks & Annuals