A History of Western Political Thought
Prices & shipping based on shipping country
A History of Western Political Thought is an energetic and lucid account of the most important political thinkers and the enduring themes of the last two and a half millennia. Written with students of the history of political thought in mind, the book:
* traces the development of political thought from Ancient Greece to the late twentieth century
* focuses on individual thinkers and texts
* includes 40 biographies of key political thinkers
* offers original views of theorists and highlights those which may have been unjustly neglected
* develops the wider themes of political thought and the relations between thinkers over time.
Table of Contents
List of Biographies. Foreword. Part I: The Greeks Part II: Romans and Roman Catholics: From Polis to Cosmopolis Part III: Romans and Humanists: the Reinvention of Sovereignty Part IV: The Theory of the Social Contract Part V: Enlightenment and the Development of the Modern State Part VI: The Rise of Liberalism Part VII: Reactions to Liberalism 2 Part VIII: Reactions to Liberalism 3 Notes. Index.
J. S. McClelland is Senior Lecturer in Politics at the University of Nottingham. He has held visiting posts at the University of Indiana at Bloomington and Sacramental State University, California. His previous publications include The French Right: From De Maistre to Maurras and The Crowd: From Plato to Canetti.