Written by experienced and innovative projects lawyer Arent van Wassenaer, this book explains what the critical success factors are for construction projects to be completed on time, within everyone’s budget, to the right quality, with all stakeholders satisfied and without disputes. In so doing, van Wassenaer discusses how such projects could be structured, tendered for, executed and completed, and what legal and non-legal mechanisms are available to achieve success in construction projects.
Using examples of real projects, A Practical Guide to Successful Construction Projects provides tools for those in leading and managerial positions within the construction industry to change – where necessary – their usual operational methods into methods which are aimed at achieving project success.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to the theme
2. What makes a project successful or unsuccessful?
3. The importance of, and how to arrive at, project objectives
4. Risks and how they should be managed
5. Project governance, decision making, contract management, collaboration, dispute avoidance, dealing with conflicts and disputes
6. People management – motivating the team
7. Project delivery models: available contract conditions and how these may contribute to project success
8. The art of using requirements, award and performance criteria to incentivise success
9. Summary and recommendations
Annex 1 – Glossary
Annex 2 – Literature
Annex 3 – The interviews: method statement and interviewees' résumés
Arent van Wassenaer is a former construction lawyer with 33 years of experience with Houthoff Buruma, Norton Rose and Allen & Overy in Amsterdam. Currently, he is owner of The Faithful Goose, a company specialising in partnerships for successful projects with a positive impact on one or more of the sustainable development goals. Arent often sits as arbitrator and is a substitute judge with the Court of Appeal in Arnhem-Leeuwarden, and has held several chair positions within the International Bar Association. He is a fellow of the International Academy of Construction Lawyers, and is a board member of Kasteel Duivenvoorde, Terre des Hommes Netherlands and of the Responsible Mining Foundation.