A Practical Guide to Successful Construction Projects
Written by experienced and innovative projects lawyer Arent van Wassenaer, this book explains what the critical success factors are for construction projects to be completed on time, within everyone’s budget, to the right quality, with all stakeholders satisfied and without disputes. In so doing, van Wassenaer discusses how such projects could be structured, tendered for, executed and completed, and what legal and non-legal mechanisms are available to achieve success in construction projects.
Using examples of real projects, A Practical Guide to Successful Construction Projects provides tools for those in leading and managerial positions within the construction industry to change – where necessary – their usual operational methods into methods which are aimed at achieving project success.
1. Introduction to the theme
2. What makes a project successful or unsuccessful?
3. The importance of, and how to arrive at, project objectives
4. Risks and how they should be managed
5. Project governance, decision making, contract management, collaboration, dispute avoidance, dealing with conflicts and disputes
6. People management – motivating the team
7. Project delivery models: available contract conditions and how these may contribute to project success
8. The art of using requirements, award and performance criteria to incentivise success
9. Summary and recommendations
Annex 1 – Glossary
Annex 2 – Literature
Annex 3 – The interviews: method statement and interviewees' résumés