Accountability and the Law Rights, Authority and Transparency of Public Power
This book discusses contemporary accountability and transparency mechanisms by presenting a selection of case studies.
The authors deal with various problems connected to controlling public institutions and incumbents’ responsibility in state bodies. The work is divided into three parts. Part I: Law examines the institutional and objective approach. Part II: Fairness and Rights considers the subject approach, referring to a recipient of rights. Part III: Authority looks at the functional approach, referring to the executors of law. Providing insights into increasing understanding of various concepts, principles, and institutions characteristic of the modern state, the book makes a valuable contribution to the area of comparative constitutional change.
It will be a valuable resource for academics, researchers, and policy-makers working in the areas of constitutional law and politics.
1. Piotr Mikuli, Grzegorz Kuca: Introduction
Part I Law
2. Kyriaki Topidi: Accountability in the Globalized Digital Age: The example of online content regulation in the EU
3. Grzegorz Kuca: Economic Crises and Transformation to the Theoretical Model of Budget Process. A Comparative Constitutional Analysis via an Example of EU Member States
4. Jelena Kostić, Marina Matić Bošković: Financial accountability and transparency of public sector institution in the Republic of Serbia
Part II Fairness and Rights
5. Piotr Mikuli, Maciej Pach: Discipilnary liability of judges: The Polish case
6. Arianna Vedaschi: Transparency and accountability v. secrecy in intelligence operations: An Italian case study
7. Guillermo Jiménez: Non-judicial legal accountability: The case of the Chilean comptroller general
Part III Authority
8. Thomas Sedelius: Presidents’ (mis)use of public accountability ‘Going public’ tactics in European semi-presidential regimes
9. Eugenie Kopsidi & John Vlachos: Ministerial criminal liability in the Greek legal order: A concise critical review
10. Francesca Sgrò: Transparency and accountability of the Italian public administration in the context of public procurement: The case of below-threshold contracts
11. Natalie Fox: Transparency and Government Accountability in Brexit Negotiations