The misuse of drugs continues to cause suffering and worldwide economic turmoil. In response to these problems, many have devoted their lives to preventing the misuse of mind-altering substances. Addiction and the Making of Professional Careers focuses on the need for enhanced understanding of professional careers in the addiction field. The spectrum of professionals involved is wide and includes treatment personnel of every kind.
Some of the questions examined here include: Why do some people decide to dedicate their lives to responding to drug problems? How do and should we select, train, mentor, support, inspire, and nurture the young career aspirant? What makes for the most effective use of talent? Is every personal case different or can general conclusions be reached?
After a foreword by William Miller and an introduction by Griffith Edwards, the book includes interviews with Joseph Brady, Louis Harris, Conan Kornetsky, and Robert DuPont, all of whom were pioneers in the behavioral pharmacological analysis of addiction. Commentary chapters are written by Kerstin Stenius, Ilana Crome, Peter Anderson, and Jonathan Chick.
William R. Miller, PhD., Emeritus Distinguished Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry, University of New Mexico, New Mexico, USA.
Introduction: Careers Set Questions - Griffith Edwards, MD., D.Sc., Editorial Advisor, Addiction
Part 1 — Addiction Careers and Administration at a High Level
1. Conversation with Robert L. DuPont, MD., President of the Institute for Behavior and Health, Inc. Rockville, MD, USA and Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA. (Interviewed by Barry Brown)
2. Conversation with Richard Fuller, MD, Retired (Interviewed by Raymond Anton)
3. Conversation with Cees Goos, MD., Consultant, Anton Proksch Institute, Vienna, Austria. (Interviewed by Paul Lemmens)
4. Conversation with Enoch Gordis, MD., Retired (Interviewed by Stephanie O'Malley)
5. Conversation with Leland H. Towle, SM (MIT), Retired (Interviewed by Thomas Babor)
6. Commentary by Peter Anderson, MD, PhD, MPH., Professor, Alcohol and Health, Faculty of Health Medicine and Life Sciences, Maastricht, Netherlands
Part 2 — Laboratory Life: The Making of Addiction Pharma-cology and Behavioural Pharmacology
7. Conversation with Joseph V. Brady, PhD., Formerly Director, Behavioral Biology Research Center, John Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA (Deceased 29 July 2011). (Interviewed by Jerome H. Jaffe)
8. Conversation with E. A. Carlini, MD., Professor, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil. (Interviewed by Joao Carlos Dias da Silva)
9. Conversation with Lou Harris, PhD., Harvey Haag Professor, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond VA, USA. (Interviewed by William Dewey)
10. Conversation with Conan Kornetsky, PhD., Professor, Departments of Psychiatry and Pharmacology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA. (Interviewed by Jerome H. Jaffe)
11. Conversation with Michael Kuhar, PhD., Chandler Professor of Neuropharmacology, Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar, Yerkes/Emory University, Atlanta GA, USA. (Interviewed by Nancy Campbell)
12. Conversation with Malcolm H. Lader, MD., PhD., FMedSci., Emeritus Professor of Clinical Psychopharmacology, Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, UK. (Interviewed by Griffith Edwards)
13. Conversation with Raphael Mechoulam, PhD., Emeritus Professor, Hebrew University, Institute for Drug Research, Medical Faculty, Institute for Drug Research, Ein Kerem Campus, Jerusalem, Israel. (Interviewed by Ruth Gallily)
14. Conversation with Charles R. Schuster, PhD, Formerly Distinguished Professor Emeritus, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, Wayne State University School of Medicine USA (Deceased 21 February 2011). (Interviewed by Robert Balster)
15. Conversation with Tomoji Yanagita, MD., Professor and Director of the Central Laboratory for Experimental Animals, Kawasaki, Japan. (Interviewed by Charles R. Schuster)
16. Commentary by Jerome H. Jaffe, MD., Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Part 3 — Clinicians and Clinical Scientists
17. Conversation with Timothy Cook, MA, Formerly Director, London and City Parochial Charities, London, UK. (Interviewed by Betsy Thom)
18. Conversation with Hamid Ghodse, MD., PhD., BSc., Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry and International Drug Policy and Director, International Centre for Drug Policy, St George's University of London, London, UK. (Interviewed by Andrew Johns)
19. Conversation with Nick Heather, PhD., Emeritus Professor of Alcohol and Other Drug Studies, Department of Psychology, School of Life Sciences, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. (Interviewed by Robert West)
20. Conversation with Martin Jarvis, PhD., Emeritus Professor of Health Psychology, Department of Epidemiology & Public Health, University College London, London, UK. (Interviewed by Robert West)
21. Conversation with Jim Orford, PhD., Emeritus Professor, School of Psychology, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK. (Interviewed by Gillian Tober)
22. Conversation with Shanthi Ranganathan, MD. Founder and Hon Secretary, T. T. Ranganathan Clinical Research Foundation, TTK Hospital, Chennai, India. (Interviewed by M. S. Jayaraman)
23. Conversation with Bruce Ritson, MD, Formerly Consultant and Hon Senior Lecturer, Royal Edinburgh Hospital, UK. (Interviewed by Iain Smith)
24. Conversation with Michael A. H. Russell, MA, MAppSci, PhD. Formerly Professor of Addiction, Institute of Psychiatry, London, UK. (Deceased 16 July 2009) (Interviewed by Martin Jarvis)
25. Conversation with Hiroshi Suwaki, MD., Consultant, Honorary Professor of Kagawa University, Incorporated Medical Institution, Sankou Psychiatric Hospital, Kagawa, Japan. (Interviewed by Griffith Edwards)
26. Conversation with Ambros Uchtenhagen, MD., PhD., Emeritus Professor of Social Psychiatry at Zurich University, Chair, Addiction and Public Health Research Foundation at Zurich University, Research Institute for Public Health and Addiction, Zurich, Switzerland. (Interviewed by Michael Kraus)
27. Commentary by Ilana Crome, MD, FRCPsych, Formerly Professor of Addiction Psychiatry and Academic Director of Psychiatry, Keele University Medical School, Consultant, Addiction Psychiatrist, South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, St George's Hospital, Stafford, UK.
Part 4 — Careers in Social Science and Epidemiology
28. Conversation with M. Douglas Anglin, PhD., Professor in Residence, Associate Director, Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA. (Interviewed by Richard Rawson)
29. Conversation with Walter Clark, PhD, Senior Scientist, Alcohol Research Group, Berkeley, California, USA. (Interviewed by Raul Caetano)
30. Conversation with Joseph Gusfield, PhD., Chair of the Sociology Department, University of California, La Jolla, California, USA. (Interviewed by Richard Madsen)
31. Conversation with Ragnar Hauge, Cand.Jur., former Director of the National Institute of Alcohol and Drug Research, Oslo, Norway. (Interviewed by Michael Blindheim)
32. Conversation with Harold Holder, PhD, Senior Scientist Emeritus, Prevention Research Center, Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, El Cerrito, California, USA. (Interviewed by Keith Humphreys)
33. Conversation with Rudolf Moos, PhD., Professor Emeritus, Department of Psychiatry, Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, USA. (Interviewed by John Finney)
34. Conversation with Juha Partanen, PhD, Formerly Professor and Director, Social Research Institute for Alcohol Studies, Helsinki, Finland. (Interviewed by Robin Room)
35. Commentary by Kerstin Stenius, PhD., Editor-in-Chief, Nordisk Alkohol-och Narkotikatidskrift (Nordic Studies on Alcohol and Drugs), Helsinki, Finland; Professor, Centre for Social Research on Alcohol and Drugs, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden.
Part 5 — Clinicians and Clinical Research: American Contributions
36. Conversation with Sheila Blume, MD., Former Medical Director, Addiction and Compulsive Gambling Services, South Oaks Hospital, Amityville, New York, USA. (Interviewed by Marianne Guschwan)
37. Conversation with Roger E. Meyer, MD., Professor of Psychiatry, Penn State University Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA, USA. (Interviewed by Hank Kranzler)
38. Conversation with William R. Miller, PhD., Emeritus Distinguished Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry, University of New Mexico, New Mexico, USA. (Interviewed by Barbara McCrady)
39. Conversation with George Vaillant, MD., Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Study of Adult Development, Boston, Massachusetts, USA. (Interviewed by Thomas F. Babor and Griffith Edwards)
40. Conversation with William L. White, MA., Senior Research Consultant, Chestnut Health Systems, Lighthouse Institute, I