307 pages | 100 B/W Illus.
Advanced Fracture Mechanics and Structural Integrity is organized to cover quantitative descriptions of crack growth and fracture phenomena. The mechanics of fracture are explained, emphasizing elastic-plastic and time-dependent fracture mechanics. Applications are presented, using examples from power generation, aerospace, marine, and chemical industries, with focus on predicting the remaining life of structural components and advanced testing metods for structural materials. Numerous examples and end-of-chapter problems are provided, along with references to encourage further study.The book is written for use in an advanced graduate course on fracture mechanics or structural integrity.
1. Introduction and Review of Linear Elastic Fracture Mechanics
2. Analysis of Cracks under Elastic–Plastic Conditions
3. Methods of Estimating J-Integral
4. Crack Growth Resistance Curves and Measures of Fracture Toughness
5. Effects of Constraint on Fracture and Stable Crack Growth under Elastic–Plastic Loading
6. Microscopic Aspects of Fracture
7. Fatigue Crack Growth under Large-Scale Plasticity
8. Analysis of Cracks in Creeping Materials
9. Creep–Fatigue Crack Growth