Advertising and Multilingual Repertoires explores advertising from the perspective of multilingual audiences. Santello introduces the key linguistic processes involved in advertising discourse, and analyses the relationship between the linguistic repertoires of audiences and language use in advertising.
- Showcases the most recent advancements in linguistic research as applied to the study of advertising and multilingualism, adopting an approach that focuses on linguistic resources;
- Examines how advertisements make use of language(s), including Italian and the use of English as a foreign language, in order to attract attention and persuade their audience;
- Familiarises readers with response mechanisms that bilinguals and multilinguals experience when exposed to advertising in different languages;
- Demonstrates both qualitative and quantitative approaches to researching the intersections between language and marketing.
Advertising and Multilingual Repertoires is key reading for postgraduate students and researchers in the field of language and advertising.
"In Advertising and Multilingual Repertoires, Marco Santello proposes a new theoretical framework for analyzing multilingualism and advertising that draws on both marketing principles and sociolinguistics. This volume includes an extensive review of the literature on multilingual advertising campaigns as well as effective linguistic strategies used in advertising targeting multilinguals."
Elizabeth Martin, California State University, San Bernadino, USA
Table of Contents
- Constructing Advertising directed at Multilingual Audiences
- Language Effects on Multilingual Speakers
- Studying Multilingualism in Advertising: Starting from Lived Experiences and Linguistic Repertoires
- Linguistic Resources in Advertising and their Impact on Multilinguals
- Advertisements in Different Languages and the Role of Language Attitudes
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / General
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Communication Studies
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Linguistics / General
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES / Linguistics / Sociolinguistics