The definitive one-volume guide to all sub-Saharan African countries, providing invaluable economic, political, statistical and directory data.
New content for the 2012 edition includes:
- chapter on South Sudan
- coverage of recent elections, including those in Cape Verde, the Central African Republic, Chad, Nigeria, São Tomé and Principé,and Seychelles
- fully revised government lists for all countries
- details on major new stories over the past twelve months, including the secession of South Sudan, the famine in the Horn of Africa, events in Cote d'Ivoire following the disputed presidential elections of November 2010 and the return to civilian governments following the military coups in Guinea and Niger
- information on the transition of Mayotte to an Overseas Department of France.
- over 1,500 pages of analytical essays, economic and demographic statistics and wide-ranging directory material
- contributions from over fifty leading experts on African affairs.
- thoroughly revised and updated analytical articles covering the issues affecting the area as a whole, including: Economic Trends in Africa South of the Sahara; Health and Medical Issues; State Failure in Africa; A Century of Development; Chinese Stakes in Sub-Saharan Africa; European Colonial Rule; Peace and Security Architecture
- new essays on The East African Community and Security Dilemmas in West Africa
- a political map of contemporary Africa and a chronological list of the dates of independence of African countries.
Individual chapters on every country incorporating:
- an introductory survey, containing essays on the physical and social geography, recent history and economy of each country
- an extensive statistical survey of economic indicators, which include area and population, health and welfare, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, industry, finance, trade, transport, tourism, communications media and education
- a full directory containing names, addresses and contact details for key areas such as the government, political organizations, diplomatic representation, the judiciary, religion, the media, finance, trade and industry, tourism, defence and education
- a useful bibliography, providing sources for further research
Detailed information on the following: regional organizations; major commodities; calendars; research institutes concerned with Africa; and select bibliographies of books and periodicals.
'A well-balanced, well-judged and remarkably comprehensive volume.' - Times Literary Supplement
'This is probably the best reference work available on this part of the African continent.'- Reference Reviews
'Rather than just a snapshot the directories provide a more comprehensive understanding of the regions covered.' - Refer, Journal of the ISG
'The information in these directories is important. Both for understanding current events with a major impact on all of us and for supporting diversity in the community where there are many people with Middle Eastern or African origins and connections. I commend both these works.' - Refer, Journal of the ISG
Table of Contents
Part 1: General Survey. Part 2: Country Surveys. Angola. Benin. Botswana. British Indian Ocean Territory. Burkina Faso. Burundi. Cameroon. Cape Verde. The Central African Republic. Chad. The Comoros. The Democratic Republic of The Congo. The Republic of The Congo. Cote D'Ivoire. Djibouti. Equitorial Guinea. Eritrea. Ethiopia. Gabon. The Gambia. Ghana. Guinea. Guinea-Bissau. Kenya. Lesotho. Liberia. Madagascar. Malawi. Mali. Mauritania. Mauritius. Mozambique. Namibia. Niger. Nigeria. Reunion. Rwanda. Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. Sao Tome and Principe. Senegal. Seychelles. Sierra Leone. Somalia. South Africa. Sudan. Swaziland. Tanzania. Togo. Uganda. Zambia. Zimbabwe. Part 3: Regional Information. Regional Organizations. Major Commodities of Africa.
BISAC Subject Codes/Headings:
- REFERENCE / General