This book enables readers to understand the theoretical aspects, key steps and scientific techniques with a detailed mechanism to produce biofuels from algae.
Each chapter provides the latest developments and recent advancements starting from algal cultivation techniques to the production of value-added green fuels, chemicals and products with wide applications. The volume brings together a broad range of international and interdisciplinary experts, including chemical and biological engineers, biotechnologists, process engineers, environmentalists, pharmacists and nutritionists, to one platform to explore the beneficial aspects and challenges for an algal-based biorefinery. Chapters address cutting-edge issues surrounding algal cultivation, including genetic modification of algal strains, design and optimization of photobioreactors and open-pond systems, algal oil extraction techniques and algal-derived fuel products (biodiesel, bio-gasoline, jet fuels and bio-oil). Finally, the book considers the potential environmental impacts for establishing a sustainable algal biorefinery through lifecycle analysis, techno-economic assessment and supply chain management.
This book will be an important resource for students, academics and professionals interested in algal cultivation, biofuels and agricultural engineering, and renewable energy and sustainable development more broadly.
Table of Contents
1. Algae as a bioresource for clean fuels, carbon sequestration and wastewater reclamation
Kang Kang, Sadegh Papari, Hanieh Bamdad, Sonil Nanda, Ajay K. Dalai, Franco Berruti
2. Algal cultivation systems and photobioreactor designs
Nongmaithem Debeni Devi, Vaibhav V. Goud, Bo Hu
3. Strategic approaches to enhance lipid accumulation in microalgae for bioprospecting
Khalifa S.H. Eldiehy, Velentina Das, Doljit Borah, Manabendra Mandal, Dhanapati Deka
4. Biodiesel production from algae through catalytic transesterification
Garima Srivastava, Devendra Kumar Maravi, Ajeet Singh
5. Production of energy dense bio-oil from algal biomass via different thermochemical pathways
Ali Shemsedin Reshad, Venu Babu Borugadda
6. Technological advances in bio-crude production and lipid extraction from algae
Yulin Hu, Chunbao Charles Xu
7. Hydrothermal gasification of biomass to produce hydrogen-rich syngas
Pankaj Kalita, Rabindra Kangsha Banik
8. Production of bio-jet and synthetic fuels via catalytic and supercritical fluid upgrading of algal bio-crude oil
Vikranth Volli, Anjani Ravi Kiran Gollakota, Naga Chaitanya Kavuri, Chi-Min Shu
9. Algal-derived physiologically active nutraceuticals: Dietary supplements, vitamins, carotenoids, fatty acids and other novel products
Nidhi Hans, Falguni Pattnaik, Anushree Malik, Sonil Nanda, Vivek Kumar, Ajay K. Dalai, Satyanarayan Naik
10. Algal-derived pharmaceuticals: Antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal, neuroprotective products, therapeutic proteins and drugs
Sharmila Narayanan, Santhi Raju Pilli
11. Techno-economic analysis of algal biorefineries
Shima Masoumi, Venu Babu Borugadda, Ajay K.Dalai
12. Lifecycle assessment of microalgal biorefinery
Dipesh Kumar, Vaibhav V. Goud
Ajay K. Dalai is a Distinguished Professor and Canada Research Chair in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
Vaibhav V. Goud is a Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, India.
Sonil Nanda is a Research Associate in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
Venu Babu Borugadda is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada.