Free Shipping (6-12 Business Days)
By introducing the new concept of alternative (im)mobilities, this collection draws attention to a different approach to mobility practices. In doing so, this ground-breaking volume explores a range of issues related related to (im)mobilities and the Covid-19 pandemic, transport and social practices, and media and urban tourism.
Designed and organized in a legally or illegally way, alternative (im)mobilities are examples of those daily practices of displacement of people, objects, and information, which mobilize a multidisciplinary framework of urbanization, shedding light on important and long-standing issues of inequality and the lack of recognition of diversity in economics, social and culture urban life. This volume opens up a new set of research questions related to the complex ways in which informal actors cope with their everyday life experience, regarding dwelling, commuting, working, caring of vulnerable people, health issues, access to information, among other mobility practices, besides the lack of essential – and infrastructural - public services.
This volume will be of great interest to researchers and scholars in geography and the social sciences interested in mobilities, transport, communication, tourism, mobility justice and inequality, public decision making and health studies.
Introduction: Alternative (im)mobilities
Maria Alice de Faria Nogueira
1. When public health policies fail: Community management in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic in Paraisópolis, São Paulo
Maria Alice de Faria Nogueira and Andrea Maria Abreu Borges
2. An alternative for whom? Buenos Aires’ school commuting and the "bicycle boom" in pandemic time
Dhan Zunino Singh and Maximiliano Velázquez
3. Cyclelogistics & uberization: Challenges and transformative actions to improve delivery cyclists' work conditions
Victor Andrade, Pedro Bastos and Filipe Marino
4. Caring Cities: The urgent concerns after apparent immobility in southern cities
Paola Jirón Martínez
5. Gendered perspectives in mobility and safety in public transport. The case of motorcycle taxis (boda boda) in Kisumu City, Kenya
Gladys Nyachieo and Calvine Kayi
6. Informal mobility in the Alemão Complex, Rio de Janeiro
7. Peripheries on the move: New urban grammars and epistemic disputes over center-periphery borders in São Paulo
8. Rearrangements and trajectories: Italian-Brazilian ice-cream parlor workers in
Germany in Covid-19 times
9. Favela virtual tour: Alternative mobilities in favela tourism during Covid-19 pandemic
Camila Maria dos Santos Moraes, Bernardo de La Veja, Fabian Frenzel, Isabella Rega and Juliana Mainard-Sardon
10. After the #stayhome, "live like a local": Towards alternative urban tourism mobilities?
Thiago Allis and Ana Carolina Padua Machado
We offer free standard shipping on every order across the globe.
- Free Shipping (6-12 Business Days)